1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need help from the CarolinaSJ.com crowd

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by OnTheRiver, Dec 19, 2006.

1. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

If someone in the SE could be of assistance, I'd appreciate it.

Was watching the highlights during halftime of the Illinois-Mizzou game, and I see clips of Kansas just absolutely beating the shit out of someone.

It's "Winston-Salem."

Basically, Kansas beat them by 50+, and ESPN noted that Winston-Salem fell to 1-14 on the season.

Three quick questions:

1.) When did these guys go Division I?

2.) Isn't it about time to put a few more obstacles in the paths of schools wanting to make this jump? I was absolutely horrified a few years ago when I saw IUPUI (pronounced Ooooowie-Pooooowie here in Indiana) make the jump. Same with IUPU-Fort Wayne, who was a regular punching bag for our local Division II team.

3.) So is this sort of thing just some kind of money grab by these schools or what?

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

First of all, it's Winston-Salem.

Second of all, I never knew they stopped being Winston-Salem State when they went to Division I last year. You learn something new every day. They used to be Division II in the Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association.

3. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Dooley noted.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

As far as I know, it's Winston-Salem State. Ludacris played at their football homecoming. They're moving into the MEAC, as is North Carolina Central.

As for the obstacles for moving up, you'd think not having any sort of conference affiliation would be one. Longwood is in its last year of reclassifying, and no conference wants anything to do with them. Why move up if you'll never be able to compete for a conference championship or an NCAA bid?

5. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

It IS still called Winston-Salem State and it's in a transitional year on its way to joining the MEAC. Maybe you saw the jersey, which has Winston-Salem on the top and State below the number, and only saw the top of it.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yes, it is a money grab.

Didn't IUPUIDUDUDUIUIUI make the NCAA tournament one year?

7. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Indeed they did. For one week, their connection to basketball went beyond status as host of the Nike Camp.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Ewwey Pooey? Isn't that Botts' pet name for his girlfriend?

Draft saved Draft deleted