1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need help from cruise experts.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by pressboxramblings07, Dec 9, 2008.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I am a Rossovich expert, jerkhead. :D

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

Regarding tipping...when we went, we actually prepaid for our tips which made things so much easier. It was like an additional $25.00 a person, which didn't sound like enough, but it was nice not to have to deal with all the people you're supposed to tip...cabin steward, dining captain, waiter, etc.

I highly recommend doing that.

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Agreed. However its always good to have some extra cash so that way, if at the end of the cruise you feel the service of someone was superior to what the tipping guidelines are, you can throw them some extra cash. Or do you get another chance to add tips at the end of the cruise? It's been 2+ years since the last (and only) cruise I took so I don't remember.

4. Jerkhead?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Their most famous song was Love Will Find a Way, but Whatcha Gonna Do was their best song.

Oh, not Pablo Cruise?

6. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Carnival is really more of a party boat. The food on both is fine. Youcan fine some really good stuff on each, and yes try a bit of everything.
    And don't forget about 24 hour room service.

And yes, the bathroom will be the smallest you have ever seen. I noticed on NCL that there's a public restroom on one deck that is hardly ever used, and very spacious. I used it a couple of times just to not feel so cramped (even just peeing).
    But I digress.
    Don't worry much about the room. Yes it's your honeymoon and you'll be in it. But most of the cruise you aren't going to spend in your room, especially if it's your first, because you will want to explore almost everything the boat offers. Mainly you just need the bed.
    For the patio experience, just go to the deck.
    As far as excursions, I'd book one before hand, just to do it. You can book on shore, and sometimes you can find independent stuff cheaper than what you book in advance (the only thing is, booking in advance and they will make sure you get back on board, book on your own, you miss the boat, you are often SOL...not usually an issue, but on an Alaskan cruise our bus back from some excursion broke down. The ship stayed in port until we were all transported on.)

But as previously mentioned, consider not even leaving the boat, or just leaving breifly on some. Very peaceful, and sometimes they even plan a few onboard activities for the stay behind people, if you want to interact...many times it's just a bar show or something.
    Main thing is...have fun, and don't fret all the details about balcony room/window room/etc...

7. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

We did our honeymoon on a Carnival cruise out of L.A. almost five years ago.

It was our first cruise and we could care less about the room. As long as there was a bed. It was a small room but you get over that pretty quick since you're rarely in it.

Food on Carnival was a solid four out of five stars for the sit-down dinners, but otherwise two or three-star. Decent, but nothing to write home about. It was the variety that impressed us.

As for booking excursions, feel free if there's something you know you want to do. Otherwise, wait until you're on board. You'll usually find out about more options once you're on the ship.

Congrads and have fun!

8. Finally booked it.

Went with Royal Caribbean and got an outside room. I think Carnival's was about sold out, because I saved about $300 by going with RCCL.

Now that it's finally real, I'm ready to get the heck outta dodge.

Thanks everyone for all your help!

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Which ship?

10. Voyager of the Seas

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Great call. Our first RC cruise was on the Adventure, which is identical. Lots of great places to hang out, plenty to do. You will love it.

Draft saved Draft deleted