1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need good karma? Save Earl

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by writestuff1, May 22, 2009.

1. writestuff1

writestuff1 Member

NBC apparently has cancelled "My Name is Earl." Granted, the season in which he was in jail was terrible, but I really thought the show bounced back this season. Hopefully, another broadcast network or cable network will pick up the series. "Family Guy" was off the air for awhile after being cancelled and then was shown as reruns. It's popularity grew and it came back better than ever. Lets hope the same happens for Earl. We all need good karma.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Someone will rescue Earl for at least one more year. It's at 96 episodes, four shy of the magic syndication number.

Major respect for Earl creator Greg Garcia, BTW, for telling NBC to go fuck itself on his way out the door: "It’s hard to be too upset about being thrown off the Titanic." Story here: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2009/05/my-name-is-earl-creator-greg-garcia-is-a-writer-because-he-has-a-way-with-wordsasked-for-his-take-on-nbcs-unceremonious-canc.html

(And yes, I recognize the irony of the LA Times quoting someone who is not too upset about being thrown off the Titanic)

3. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Wow, I thought the show just ran out of ideas - I mean the whole stuff with Crabman being in witness protection and some super spy was ridiculous. The show went wayyyyyyy off course. Although in that final episode they were really getting away with a lot of risque stuff.

Anyway, I read that TBS is thinking about picking it up. Fox was originally rumored to do so, but I think that idea has been passed over.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah I gotta mostly agree with Lantaur. Doing a two-part Geraldo Rivera show was a.) lame and b.) already done w/Cops. Still a funny show, though, and I'd like to see it get a 13-episode order from TBS or somebody to get it to the 100 episode mark. (And to resolve that cliffhanger)

5. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

It surely has been mentioned here before, but once again: Much love to Greg Garcia, who a lifetime ago ran the board for Kornheiser's original radio show in DC.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I didn't realize it was that close to syndication. That's just insanely stupid on NBC's part.

7. Mizzougrad96

I was always a big Jason Lee fan from Kevin Smith's movies. I just can't believe NBC would cancel a show that close to the big syndication number. Maybe they figure they can do it anyway with 96. It's also possible that some contracts are up and they want to cut everyone loose so they don't have to pay a significant chunk to the stars. I think that was one of the reasons they ditched Scrubs last year.

8. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

It's no longer must-watch for me, but still a consistent laugh. It's a great show for syndication, so I'm sure somebody will help them get there ...

9. Mizzougrad96

My money is on ABC. ABC did a masterful job of milking According to Jim for about three more seasons because it wanted the syndication $$$.

10. Mizzougrad96

CBS picked up Medium, which is a good show that NBC never seemed to know what to do with.

I was watching Cheers this morning and I would do anything for more family comedies and ensemble cast comedies (News Radio, Friends, Cheers, Just Shoot Me, Seinfeld)

The only family comedies left on the Big Four networks are all about divorced families (New Adventures of Old Christine, Gary Unmarried and 2 1/2 Men) None are exactly shows I want to watch with my kids.

11. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Earl was much better this season than it had been for a while. There were more of those 'did they just say that' moments.
    But overall, I agree that it's pretty tired.

12. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Isn't Earl already in syndication? They show old episodes on TBS all the time.

Draft saved Draft deleted