1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need advice on two fronts

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Aug 2, 2006.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

OK, so I'm no plumber and I need some help.
    My toilet is making this noise, it sounds like the water is running.
    I jiggled the handle, didn't do anything. Pulled the lid off the tank and took a look inside. Nothing seems to be amiss.
    But the water in the bowl looks like it is moving around, not much, just a little, then you have the noise. I don't know why and I don't want to call a plumber out for something that is no big deal.
    Any thoughts?

The other is something totally different.
    So I got this story pitch from a PR person that I had never met. We exchanged some e-mails and go something setup to check out the operation. PR is just one of many duties this person has. She normally doesn't do much PR.
    So we are visiting in her office and she's friendly, really friendly. Being real chatty and what she pitches is good, at least for what I write, and then she gets a little grabby. Touching my arm and my knee and asking personal questions, like "are you married?" and "do you have any kids?"
    I should mention at this point that this girl is like crazy hot.
    She then makes mention of how she is single and she's doing the hair flip and smiling and I didn't have my official girl decoder handbook with me, but it seems like she is sending me some signals. Serious signals.
    But we get something setup, I'm going back for another interview to talk to her bosses.
    So when she calls me with the time, it isn't like "Hey Mr. Farrar this is Hot chick and I was letting you know that it will be next Friday at 11 a.m."
    It was, "Hey Jay, what's going on. hee hee This is hot chick and I was seeing how 11 sounds next Friday."
    So now, I'm in this pickle.
    Was this girl actually being flirty because she was interested?
    Was this girl being flirty because she wanted me to come and do a story, so she would look better to her bosses?
    This girl wasn't being flirty, this is just the way she always acts and I don't know the difference?

Any thoughts?

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

As the great "Animal" would say, "jiggle the handle!"

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

she was obviously flirting with you.

the toilet noise, i can't help you with.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Who cares. Ask her what she's doing for lunch afterwards, and bang her in the ass boots-style afterwards.

5. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

And you're asking a majority of men on advice about a woman. I will be the first to say...

This thread will not end well

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

The tiolets innards probably need to be replaced. As they get older, the seal goes bad, causing the water to run, running up your water bill and necessitating replacement of the innards. It's not hard. They sell kits for it at Home Depot, and they'll probably explain it to you.

She's flirting with you, but (because I'm a cynical bitch) I think it's probably for the story.

7. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Your flap is not sealing properly. Reach in and push the thing tight to create a better seal. See if it needs to be twisted ever so slightly to create a better seal.

Run to Ace hardware -- home of the helpfull hardware man -- and buy a new toilet flap kit. They're pretty easy to replace. But if the water is leaking enough for you to see constant movement in it, you're risking a very unpleasant surprise when the water bill comes next month.

She's playing you. Go boots on her.

8. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I think most of us are. I know I have always been pretty cynical. Still am sometimes.

9. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

So I take it the Starbucks girl is, like, so last month.  :D

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Boots then A-T-M.

12. soccer dad

soccer dad Guest

do the story, and see if her attitude changes then.

Draft saved Draft deleted