1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ned Barnett's last column

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Marvin, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Marvin

Marvin Active Member

It's a nice read and he makes some good points to think about ...

http://www.newsobserver.com/122/story/542128.html

2. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

I used to come across his colllege hoops columns. He was terrible. Big on turning a cute phrase (the kind that would make you groan out loud) rather than providing actual insight. This move can only improve the N&O sports section.

3. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

Had to go back and fish this out:

"I covered the famous such as Marion Jones, Shane Battier, Philip Rivers and Rod Brind'Amour ..."

WOW. Can't get much more famouser than that!

4. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

A gold-medal runner, a gold-medal flopper, a class QB and the guy to the left.

5. Hed bust

Hed bust Guest

He's done good work. His comments on Chuck Amato thru the years have been accurate and dead-on lots of the time.
    Was capable of hanging people out to dry when they deserved it.
    Didn't always do it. But sometimes he did.
    I am doing same as him. Leaving sportswriting to try news side.
    Have never met Ned. I wish him luck.

6. LarryDavid

LarryDavid New Member

Good luck, Ned.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Were you born an a_shole and just grew bigger?

Sheesh ... no, Ned Barnett was not Pulitzer-winning and Earth-shaking. He never tried to be.

While he was busy staying out of the way and telling the stories, Caulton Tudor has been busy setting fires, pissing off readers and in general, doing it in an obnoxious way. And he rarely made me think, so don't bother telling me he was worth the venom. I guess McClatchy and Sherry Johnson want it that way. More power to them.

I liked the fact that Ned was understated, didn't hesitate to do an occasional piece on something more low-profile and didn't come off as an omnipotent piece of crap.

And if you're in the Triangle and claim to know the sports scene, those were four pretty high-profile sports figures. Would you rather he trumpet himself and all those "famous" people like that preening, self-centered prick in Detroit?

Get over yourself, blondebomber. If not for your own sake, then for ours.

Best of luck, Ned. If other want to snark, that's their problem.

8. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

Sorry, Mills. Based on the columns I read when I was really hardcore on the college hoops scene, he blew. I guess if he was any good he wouldn't have gotten re-assigned. I don't know the background on the shuffle, but he makes it clear that this change wasn't his choice. A guy you put out front for several years doesn't get ordered behind the scenes if people are happy with his work.

As for his famous interview subjects ...

(yawn)

Christian Laettner's pretty big in the Triangle, too. Dude never interviewed Dean Smith? Michael Jordan? Jeff Gordon? The icons that come through that area are plentiful and he tries to dazzle us with Shane Battier? Holy dickcheese ...

And I suppose it will be hard for me to get over myself when you throw a hissyfit upon reading a simple observation.

9. A fight over Ned Barnett?

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

If by hissyfit, you mean calling your crap while you blast someone, then yes. A simple observation? No, it was a criticism. Backpedaling much?

Apparently, neither the N&O nor Ned saw fit to interview Christian Laettner or Michael Jordan, both of whom had left for greener NBA pastures by the time Ned got to Raleigh.

And Barnett wasn't trying to dazzle us with anyone. Obviously, you weren't impressed and that's your opinion. His style and the way he went about his business wasn't to your liking. Understandable ... I'm not here claiming he was robbed of deserved national awards. But to attempt to snark and belittle the man on here is a pile of crap. Dunno why that surprises me considering the attitude of many on this board, but anyway ...

11. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

I stated my observation. My observation was critical. I don't like him. Never did. I think he blows. How's that backpedaling?

This is a thread about Ned Barnett. I commented on Ned Barnett. You're commenting on me. Instead of me getting over myself, maybe you should be getting over me. Because, lord knows, I hate confrontation.

12. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Your insight into the finer nuances of hockey will be sorely missed, Ned.
    [/Sabres fans]

Draft saved Draft deleted