1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Near-fight between reporter, radio guy at Pistons-Magic game?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by deskslave, May 11, 2008.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I wouldn't say homerish. I would call his blog entry childish. But in no way does that detract from the heaping helping sack o' crap that was Greene's column.

2. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I felt like the Pistons beat guy got stuck in that weird place where you're trying your best not to be homerish, but you're getting really annoyed by a group that obviously is trying to throw stones at the Pistons, who you know are quite good.

3. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I have to ask, how many think the Grand Theft Auto and Redickulous references in the column come off even remotely racist?

I do. A friend doesn't.

The friend wonders if Wallace actually has a part in the video game, or pitches it, or something. I've googled and can't find anything.

And neither of us have a clue what the redickulous thing means.

I just see both as perpetuating the stereotype that all black men are illiterate criminals — a stereotype I do not in any way, shape or form believe.

But in that column, I can't help but think that's how the writer feels or sees them.

Thoughts?

For whatever reason, this column has really got to me — like none ever before. And I mean that. I've read it several times. I think it's the total lack of professionalism, the complete homerism of it and the fact there seems to be, in my eyes anyway, an underlying racist tone. I can't help but wonder how a major daily paper would allow this to fly.

4. DougDascenzo

DougDascenzo Member

redickulous

That's my best guess. Or maybe it has something to do with JJ Redick? Either way, that's some stupid shit.

5. loveyabye

loveyabye Guest

McCosky does a good job but often gets fiery when it comes to the Pistons. Some would say homerish.

6. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

Jerry Greene has been writing in Orlando forever and I believe is appearing four days a week right now. He's been cast in the role of "humorous" sports column guy for quite a few years, and sometimes his stuff's pretty funny. Others, it's pretty clear the well was dry. There's no question that's one of his weaker efforts, and I think the racism criticism on some of that is fair even though I don't believe Greene intended it to play that way.

As for Orlando sports radio, it has always been the worst decent sized sports radio market in the country. There has not been a show there in the past decade that was good at being entertaining, controversial or drawing ratings. O'Neil is a former DJ who is employed because he also sells ads well. He knows nothing about sports and tries to pull off a tough guy act on air sometimes to disguise that. His current partner is actually pretty good, but it sounds like O'Neil was looking to homer it up and embarassed himself.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

A Pistons-Magic blood feud. Priceless. Who really gives a crap about either of these teams?

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Well, considering they are one game away from the Eastern Conference finals, I would say the many basketball fans would care about the Pistons.

And the Magic have some young talent to get excited about.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I figure this is as good a place as any to post this:

Happy 28th birthday to my future husband, Keith Bogans, which will happen in 3 1/2 hours.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

You're going to marry Keith Bogans in 3 1/2 hours, or he turns 28 in 3 1/2 hours?

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Congrats, and Happy Birthday to Keith!

Draft saved Draft deleted