1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA Tourney coverage and the economy

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spikechiquet, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

I'm anxious to see if AP steps up its coverage. This would be a great time for the organization to shine.

2. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Actually, a lot of readers are stupid, too. Just read the comments to almost any story posted online.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It would be nice to put out a product that readers would want and should, in my world at least, attract advertisers. No wonder advertising dollars are on the decline and the recession is masking it.

If a newspaper made a big deal about going all out on coverage, shouldn't there be enough advertisers who want their business associated with the coverage of a good team that would make traveling pay off?

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I take it the AP is ramping back on coverage as well? Is that why there is no Texas-Minnesota preview yet? Is that why there is no art of the Longhorns on the wire?

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Seriously.

This is on the Texas digest:

Shit. I guess the Longhorns earning a spot in the tournament and playing Thursday wasn't known at the Texas AP until recently.

Edit: Three hours later it is finally across.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

I don't think that AP gets it Angola. This is when it can really show off its talent. But as usual, they are failing miserably.

7. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

In the past, I had to room with three other people on a road trip in a decent hotel.

One room. Two small beds and a roll-away. Absolute nightmare getting ready the next day. Barely enough space to be in the same room together.

Never again.

If the company doesn't want to spend the money to put us in decent living conditions (two to a room), go ahead and save the money. Spend it on a stringer.

I'll stay home, write about baseball, softball and spring football instead and eat and sleep in my own house. No problem.

It's a double standard that's needs to change. Doubt you'll ever see the publisher, executive editor and managing editor shacking up in the same crummy hotel room for a conference.

Yet sports guys do it all the time, even four to a room, because "well, that's the sacrifice we need to make to get the job done."

Well, you get what you pay for.

That's not the only reason we are where we are, but those kind of sacrifices haven't really helped much in the long run. It's only delaying the inevitable.

8. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I've never shared a room with anyone while on a company road trip and never will. I take that back ... college. But that's it.

This isn't a common practice at most major papers. Yet. Thank God.

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

We know, we know, GlenQuagmire is clearly a homophobe......

10. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I was under the impression that if our team advances further and we start sending more than one person then we would indeed be asked to share. However, when that has happened in the past, a compromise was met and they allowed for a two bedroom, two-bath suite at a Residence Inn. It was obviously more expensive than a single room, but less expensive than two regular rooms. A good compromise. You maintain a sense of privacy with a bedroom and a bathroom and you share a common area for socializing and planning. Win-win in those situations.

And if you want to fart or bring home a hooker, well, go right ahead. Just shut your door.

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Well luckily for your shop you cover SEC teams and none of them are going to be hanging around long enough for you to have your irrational homophobic fears to come to fruition............

12. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

I don't really have a problem under that scenario. I'm glad you'll get that freedom.

Your newspaper/company obviously wants to treat its employees properly. I wish more did so.

Draft saved Draft deleted