1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA Tournament wireless

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Shaggy, Apr 19, 2008.

1. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

The $16 a day is absolute b.s., but if you sign up before the open practice day, it's only $10 a day, which is more reasonable b.s. ...

Here's karma for you: I was ready to pay for wireless at $16 a day for the two game days (not the days before each game) but the wireless guy didn't want to give me a user/password the day before for fear I'd use it on a day I hadn't paid for. So I waited, and in the interim, found there was free wireless in the arena. Didn't pay a cent ...

2. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

I didn't have wireless problems in San Antonio, actually. In Detroit, virtually everything was a problem. That was easily the worst basketball arrangement I've ever seen. And not just for media. The players hated it, coaches hated it, fans hated it. It was a disaster.

But the sold a lot of fucking tickets, so fuck everybody.

3. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

air cards

cheaper in the long run

never have to worry about wireless (or phone lines) again

file from anywhere

i tell SEs all the time -- get one air card, install the software on all your guys' laptops, and give it to the guy each night who's got the brutal deadline

what is it now ... $20 a month for basic coverage?

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

What bullshit in excelsius that is. I cover a NFL team that plays in a Dome and have never had a significant wireless problem. And their wireless is free.

I am days away from my aircard. Free at last, gouging fuckers!

5. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

If they charge 16 bucks a day for wireless, they better make damn sure they're putting out a product worth the price.

I'll agree with others on here: They didn't at the sites I was at. It was too spotty and completely unreliable. Amazingly, I was charged full price anyway.

6. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

Wasn't the NCAA, at least at one site, asking reporters not to use their cards?

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, bullshit on that, boys.

What next, "Please turn off your cell phones, but Official NCAA Pay Phones are available for your convenience at a nominal rate of $29.99 per call" ?

8. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

And just think, that was a test run for next year's Final Four.

9. John

John Well-Known Member

I remember hearing something about that, and laughing at the absurdity of it.

10. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Holy shit, where was that?

11. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I used mine without incident at one regional site for four days.

Those things are godsends, and should be the norm for anyone on a beat.

12. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

There was a sign posted outside the photographers' room in Tampa stating exactly that.

Draft saved Draft deleted