1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA tournament phrases that should be banned

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

For the record, the guy at NIT-ology predicted 64 of 65 NCAA teams and all but three of the NIT field. That's not bad.

He's also the only reliable online source for NIT information I've been able to find. That comes in handy if you're covering a college team that's good enough to finish .500 but not good enough to be on the NCAA bubble.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I don't see that as being extremely impossible, given that you're spotted the 34 automatic berths, plus numerous teams with resumes beyond reproach. At the NCAA level, at least, what does that mean, about 5-6 question marks? I'm talking about the guys who try to figure out seedings and matchups and stuff like that well in advance. Why does anyone care what Joe Lunardi thinks about that on Feb. 1?

3. Mighty_Wingman

That's an excellent point. The huge, complete brackets ESPN.com insists on putting up twice a week starting in February are pretty much a complete waste of time.

4. Taylee

Taylee Member

To us, probably. But ESPN does it because Lunardi's bracket of guesses gets a ton of hits.

5. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

\"He can score the ball.\"

6. Mighty_Wingman

As dumb as "score the ball" sounds, when coaches use it, it has a specific meaning. "Score the ball" refers to a player who can get his own shot in traffic, usually off the dribble, as opposed to just "shooting the ball." It's a convenient shorthand.

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Anybody who doesn't think bracket, field and seed projections aren't big for websites isn't dealing in reality.

You might personally find them worthless. They get a TON of eyeballs, and generate a ton of debate and feedback concerning teams that are thought to be in our out or on the bubble or whatever.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

"Bigs" for post players, center/forwards.

"Long" players. I don't need to know how "long" a player is, eh?

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Not restricted to tournament play, but: three ball. LSU play-by-play man Jim Hawthorne uses that term, and nothing else, for a 3-pointer.

Oh, and while on the subject, the Kentucky radio guy -- for baseball -- uses the phrase two ball (either for a double or a double play. Not sure which, but either way I hate it.).

10. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Anybody who uses two-ball for a double play is an eight ball.

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Been some time since I heard him, but after further review I think he says that for a double play.

12. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

I heard that, too. That's so friggin stupid.

Cal and Stanford should do a dual trademark and let everyone use it free.

Draft saved Draft deleted