1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA Tournament and the Media

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GRUDGE, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Why? Do you really think the large, more reputable media outlets hire people in higher-profile positions right out of school?

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Because I think that the trade-offs for access debase journalism, to the readers' detriment.

And because I think that coverage is available widely enough nowadays in other places that it's not necessary. The fact that the result is in question separates sports somewhat from most other forms of entertainment. But, ultimately, I don't think that newspapers should be busting the budget covering entertainment.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, Baron. That's ridiculous. You think newspapers are on their way out now? Wait till the Columbia newspaper doesn't cover Missouri football. Wait till the Gainesville paper ignores Florida basketball. The shit will, as they say, hit the fan.

Some of what you say is valid. But you relish saying it far, far too much. This is still the meal ticket for some of us, YankeeFan.

4. Dick Whitman

My intuition is that people get far less of their news on those programs from those papers than you think they do.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

The absence of coverage will be the last straw for quite a few readers, your intuition or not.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

If we're talking pro sports, yeah, I can see that. Although the Dallas Cowboys gets a ton of coverage on TV/ESPN, and I've always sensed the Dallas Morning News more than holds its own there.

College sports, I don't agree. Take Dayton, which made the Elite Eight. Where else other than the Dayton Daily News are you learning a lot about the program on a daily basis? ESPN barely knows the Atlantic 10 exists. I know that's an isolated example, but I think it holds for a number of schools. And it especially holds for any niche program that doesn't fall under college football and college baseball.

7. Dick Whitman

Ralph, you've said it more than anyone. People these days largely go to one place for their nuts and bolts sports information. And we all know where that place is.

8. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

The entity treats working media like garbage, even after writers tongue the NCAA product for months on end. Big surprise.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

How many papers do you think are going to want to pay a rights fee in order to cover a game? That, in addition to paying the reporter's salary, travel, and non- game meals.

Or better yet, how do you think those alums will feel when their subscriptions increase to cover the rights fees. Although, I suppose, they could put the college coverage behind the pay wall and charge a large fee for access, and give the JV coverage for free.

10. Dick Whitman

I was flabbergasted by that story.

I was stopped by the Dasani police 10 years ago, at least.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It shouldn't matter what the reporter brings, because these are supposed to be amateur athletics, played for the joy of competition and not for the almighty dollar. [ducking]

12. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

You forgot, "You bombed out of newspapers."

Draft saved Draft deleted