1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA tournament 2011 — running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

They occasionally appear in a 5-12 game, and you know damn well to pick the 12 if that's the case.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It'll be time to turn down the sound and opt for Radio Anything as opposed to that gross malignancy.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Elmore is fantastic. He should be allowed to do the Final Four as a reward for putting up with Mike Patrick the rest of the year.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Once again, it is revealed that without exceptional guard play, you're toast in NCAA basketball.

I live next door to St. Mary's College, a NCAA Tourney snubbee, and watched they play Kent St. last night in the NIT. Place is packed, crowd is rocking. They have Mickey McConnell, the league MVP but the Kent St. players made St. Mary's look slow, especially their (Australian) guards. Too bad because SMC played very well as a team but it was a game where athleticism >>> teamwork.

5. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Not to sound like a homer, but UT-San Antonio being just a 4 or 5 point fav against Alabama State seems odd. The Roadrunners should win this one by more than 5.

Also, Mary McCloud Bethune's namesake school is 20-point dog to overrated Va. Tech.
    That one might not happen but Va Tech's not overly good IMHO.
    Other teams that should have also been left out of NCAA include Tennessee, Villanova, UAB.

6. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

I was a kid in the D.C. area when Len Elmore played for the Terps.

Tom McMillen was the prized recruit, the guy who was gonna help Lefty made Maryland the, uh, "UCLA of the East." Lenny was the banger from NYC, a rough-and-tumble guy much like Buck Williams was a few years later.

Tommy and Lenny both went on to considerable success after basketball. Elmore's a cool cat.

7. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Barkley and Smith are great.

I have low expectations, since every time I turn on ESPN someone is picking Syracuse to go to at least the Elite 8. The guarantees a second-round exit. Obviously they haven't been forced-fed a diet of Scoop Jardine all season like I have.

And finally FUCK Time Warner and TruTV. Dr. J went out and spent a huge chunk of change on a new TV for the tournament. Now we're stuck watching the Orange on this craptastic channel Friday night. At first I thought it was our TV, then I watched the last part of last night's game on our little TV upstairs and it was just as awful. It was like watching basketball under water.
    For Christs' sake, Time Warner owns TruTV. A little help, perhaps?

8. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

You know, if Conference USA wanted to earn a little respect for itself, going 0-4 on the first night of postseason competition was not the way to go about it. And thanks a lot to UAB for making Jay Bilas and the ESPN boys look very right with their craptastic performance against Clemson in the NCAA play-in game.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Davis has been a horrible tournament coach, there. Know no other way to explain it, other than Clemson's sheer size advantage.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

You may be right, but have to give AS a shot, because they had a ton of injuries plague them the first half of the year, and when they got the bodies back, they took off. Hate to shit on teams in that situation, too early.

11. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Barack-etolgy 2011 baby! Rock Chalk vs. the Buckeyes in the final https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY6Bzv-mm1E http://games.espn.go.com/tcmen/en/entry?entryID=4267886

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

What a chalk player! Show some imagination, Mr. President!

Draft saved Draft deleted