1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA Super Regional running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Jun 6, 2008.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

And we'll have a CWS thread as well, for those of us interested in college baseball.

Today's newsflash, Florida State loses first game of best-of-three to Wichita State, 10-7. ACC beginning its "Quest for 53" consecutive years without a national title.

And, in the beating the "beating the dead horse" category, informative story today from the Long Beach press-Telegram on seeding the tournament.

http://www2.presstelegram.com/moresports/ci_9496517

2. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

don't forget n.c. state's best pitcher getting shelled to keep up their part of acc fail

that said, miami is really good

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I only recently started paying attention to college baseball -- within the last four years -- so I was happy to see the numbers attached to the West Coast's teams dominance.
    Pretty informative.

Also, it appears the SEC sked certainly helped Georgia out some (even if most of the SEC teams shit the bed). They laid the smackdown on NC State today.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Arizona 6, Miami 3, in 11; two of the last three ACC teams one loss away from elimination.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Not sure if it deserves its own thread, but good Lord, Ron Polk is a cranky old bastard.

Says he's taking MSU out of his will, taking his name off the stadium and going to use his "influence" to scuttle a number of support programs, all because the school didn't promote its assistant baseball coach, instead hiring Kentucky's head coach.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/uga/stories/2008/06/06/polk_0607.html

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Birdscribe's and my Titans struggling against Stanford at home. Not a good sign.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I knew it had been a while, but it floors me that the Shockers haven't been to the CWS since 1996. Damn that's a long time for them.

But I was happy to see them win at Florida State today, especially since I saw the heart and soul of that team (Andy Dirks) play in high school, 10 miles down the road, well within our coverage area. Humble kid, good family ... it would be nice to see him make a trip to Omaha his senior season.

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Only one of the four top-eight seeds won tonight. Just saying.

9. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

nice theory. of course, in real life, these things cost $$$. when college baseball starts making the same $$ basketball does, then you can travel like that. until then, it's a moot point.

and, for the columnist... i have a question about this part...

"UC Irvine at LSU: I'd really like to pick the Anteaters, but LSU is on such a role (23 straight wins) and playing in the final year of their on-campus stadium. LSU."

what kind of role was it? does it involve nudity? or is just another stereotypical cajun role? can't we get to a place in our country where not every lsu role is that of a corndog-smelling cajun?

10. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Right there with you two. This Fullerton grad is also hoping there's a game Sunday at Goodwin Field. Go Titans!

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Florida State 14
    Wichita State 4

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Georgia refuses to do things the easy way, loses Game 2 10-6.

Draft saved Draft deleted