1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA: Nothing to see here

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PeteyPirate, Jul 6, 2006.

1. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I'm guessing the NCAA had to decide between fielding enough decent men's basketball teams next season or suspending many top recruits who went to these basketball factories doubling as "schools." A sound financial decision on the NCAA's part, and of course they maintained the highest level of integrity.

Recruits From Dubious Prep Schools Allowed To Play Next Season
    By Mark Schlabach
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Thursday, July 6, 2006; Page E01

Most top recruits who attended prep schools with strong basketball teams but reportedly questionable academic credentials will be allowed to play in college next season, the NCAA announced yesterday.

The NCAA said 22 prep schools, including powerhouses such as Oak Hill Academy and Fork Union Military Academy, will be subject to future review of their academic integrity, and individual athletes still might have their transcripts scrutinized for irregularities. ...

Yesterday, one former Lutheran player said he was surprised by the NCAA's decision.

"Academically, it was a joke," said guard Joseph Wilson of Alpharetta, Ga., who said he spent six months last year enrolled at Lutheran. "I left the school early because I realized it was bull."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/07/05/AR2006070501902.html

Draft saved Draft deleted