1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA nixes Lutheran Christian, other prep schools

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Del_B_Vista, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

So those are the two most diverse sports played in America. I think we agree. So then why is it that you say baseball isn't diverse enough?

2. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

I don't know. Hockey is pretty diverse, too. So is soccer (if you care).

I guess that would football the least diverse major team sport in terms of foreigners. Although a few Australians have infiltrated the league.

NASCAR has Brad Daugherty and...I don't know.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Not to threadjack, but if we stopped calling our football football, and we started calling our soccer football, what name would our version of football be called?

And yes, I hope you get a brain cramp figuring it out. :D

4. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

The problem is that as the number of African American players decrease, the race card is going to pop out and Bud Selig dosn't want that. We can sit here on SportsJournalists.com and say it won't be a problem, but that's not going to affect how the fans are going to look at this.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

So rather than allow the race card to come out, we should be proactive about trying to fix it. But if the kids don't want to play the game, then do we really need to make them, just so we can encourage more diversity?

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Why should it even come out? Are you telling me that Miguel Tejada and David Ortiz, two of the darkest skinned guys in the game, aren't really black? The only way the race card would come out against MLB is if racist black people who love to drop the race card like a hot potato make it one. Just because some people can't see past race and love to make it an issue all the time doesn't mean they have a point.

Don't sit there and say that there aren't enough blacks in the game. Just say what you mean, which is that there isn't enough black Americans in the game. And then offer up how you'd fix that. Don't point and then just criticize.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Better said than my attempt, Mr. Head.

Or is it Senor Butt?

8. Chuck~Taylor

When I said kids, I didn't want to tie it to the diversity "problem". Kids not caring about baseball is not good because it's going to affect the future of baseball.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Chuck's point that baseball doesn't do enough to promote the game, among ALL kids is very valid. Even in middle class and affluent areas, baseball isn't very popular with the kids to play. In our area, there are more kids invloved in spring lacrosse than in little league. One rec league alone, for girls has 12 teams of 18 girls on a team, for 11-12 year olds. And the same exists at every age group boys and girls. Little League can't come close.

And don't say it's because the games are on too late or too expensive, because no one watch lax on TV or goes to expensive games.

10. Chuck~Taylor

That's what I meant but you guys took it the wrong way(which was my fault). I meant African American baseball players.
    And it's not a matter of "why the race card should be put up". I'm not arguing that. I'm saying that it will be put up. You know that ESPN will start talking about this. I think I saw a little thing about it on Outside the Lines a couple of months ago.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'd say that both basketball and hockey would give baseball a run for its diversity money.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Wouldn't you say that 10 out of 15 players on each NBA roster are African Americans? Do you think MLB averages 26 players of a single ethnicity/racial group on the 40 man roster?

Draft saved Draft deleted