1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA moving the 3-point line

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Captain_Kirk, May 3, 2007.

1. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Could be four, but HS and women's college are the same distance ...

(all measurements from the center of the hoop)
    HS/women's bb: 19-9
    International: 20-6
    Men's bb: 20-9
    NBA: 22-to-23-9

2. crimsonace

The FT line is measured from the backboard because it is a line -- parallel to the backboard -- and it was placed on the floor in a day when floor measurements weren't nearly as precise (e.g., many courts with double-midcourt lines).

One needs to use a center-of-the-basket radius on the 3-point line because it is an arc and needs a single point from which to be measured from. Hence, the 19-9 vs. 15-0 measurement not accounting for the extra 15 inches between the center of the hoop and the face of the backboard.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Just fucking wonderful, now we'll have basketball courts looking like somebody went wild with a pack of magic markers.

THE 3-POINT SHOT IS SUPPOSED TO BE AN EASY SHOT IF THE SHOOTER IS LEFT OPEN.

If anybody doesn't like players making "easy" 3's, the solution is even easier -- get somebody on them.

4. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Link? :D

5. crimsonace

My personal belief (to eliminate confusion) ...

HS basketball should use the international distance (20-6, nine inches further back).
    College men should use either the current (22-to-23-9) or former (22-0) NBA line.

College women should choose which line to use (something tells me the 20-6 line would be more sensible, since it's the line used in the WNBA and international ball).

With the college women staying at 19-9, this is going to look crazy in college. Indiana's high school State Finals are played on a WNBA floor ... there are two lines nine inches apart, which is ridiculous for players and officials. Most players just shoot their 3s from behind the second (international/WNBA) line just in case.

Something tells me some removable tape will be used to put the line down for women's games in college so there won't be two parallel lines drawn on the floor one foot apart.

6. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Sportschick and everyone else here will remember that I've been one of the biggest backers on the SJ board of women's basketball.
    I, too, though, always try to call a spade a spade.
    The women use a smaller ball. Simple as that.
    Any talk of women dunking, too.
    It's lots easier with that smaller ball.
    But I support women's hoops at all levels.
    As for this thread, let the women try that 3-pointer at any length with a regulation (men's) ball.
    That'd be some horrid shooting numbers, I assure you.

7. crimsonace

I'm a big backer of women's bb, as well (and I coach it at the HS level).

I have no problem with the women using a smaller ball ... their hands are (in general) smaller than men's hands. My hands are tiny for a guy -- probably average for a woman -- and a men's ball feels like a blimp to me, while the 28.5" women's ball is a pretty good size. The smaller ball *definitely* helps the women's game, but no biggie ... women's basketball is a *different game* than men's ball, so the different balls, et al, don't bother me as much. Also remember that women have 20 extra seconds to get the ball across midcourt, but they also have 5 fewer seconds to shoot.

Draft saved Draft deleted