1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA investigating Cam Newton

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Seems that way. From Pete Thamel's Twitter feed ...

BREAKING NEWS: We have on-record confirmation the NCAA is investigating the recruitment of Cameron Newton.

John Bond, a former Mississippi State quarterback said today that "a payment had to be made" for Newton to play there. Miss State declined.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

And from ESPN ...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5765214

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

1994 ... 2004 ... 2010 ... Why is it whenever Auburn has a national championship-caliber team, something happens to screw it up? They're becoming the Chicago Cubs of college football.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Hey at least the agent was willing to give Mississippi State a 10 percent discount.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Had called for the anticipation of sanctions here, a couple of weeks ago. Seemed about the right time.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Newton's worth way more than 200K.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Don't forget the late 50s, but I guess a revisionist or two might visit.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I agree. Auburn got a bargain.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Any truth to the rumor that Boise State and TCU turned him in?

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Somebody forgot to keep it down home cuz.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Sounds like an agent who didn't get anywhere with Newton waited until he and Auburn were at their peak this season, then blew the whistle. I think the story's got some huge holes.

12. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Exactly.
    I can't figure it out. The quotes and other "meat" in the short story are so mundane.
    Nothing really solid that you can sink your teeth into.
    Can't help but sound as if MSU turned Auburn in.
    I hate these sorts of stories. If indeed there was a bidding war for Newton or anyone else, the losers have to just stay quiet and go after their next big fish.
    There may have been no bidding war at all for Newton, but to try and convince ourselves that there's never a bidding war for any prep athlete is sort of like sticking our heads into the sand.
    I just hate stories like this. If State did turn them in, shame on State.
    Also, it seems the story first reared its head in 2009. Why are we just hearing about it now?
    This is all so damn stupid.
    Let the kid run.

Some background:
    John Bond (1980-83) was a highly-recruited QB out of Valsosta who had visions of playing for Alabama or Georgia.
    He led State to its most publicized win historically, a 6-3 win in Jackson over No. 1 Alabama in 1980.
    A solid sophomore year, with another bowl, was followed by two less-successful final years.
    He wound up as one of the SEC's all-time total offense leaders.

Rogers (1982-85) was a non-descript back out of Northport/Tuscaloosa area who was part of four under-achieving Emory Bellard squads. He was never a true starter and while playing on competitive teams, they never posted a winning record and they lost 8 games to Alabama/Auburn in that span.
    Apparently Rogers runs football camps in the Birmingham area now.

Draft saved Draft deleted