1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA hockey tournament

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CD Boogie, Mar 20, 2023.

1. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

Additionally, the crowd in Fargo will likely be a hostile one that includes lots of Sioux, um, Fighting Hawk fans who will still attend to boo the Gophers even though North Dakota didn't make it.

The college hockey schedule at the end of the year really is kind of messed up. Minnesota had a bye in first round of Big Ten playoffs, and then a single game each of the last two weekends; were they to win both games this weekend they then would have 12 days off before the Frozen Four. That's six games in five weeks, after a regular season routine of playing twice weekly all year long.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

They used to have the Frozen Four the same weekend as the Final Four, on Thursday-Saturday. The NCAA doubtless for TV related reasons then moved the hockey tourney finals back a week.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Canisius as the U of M sacrifical lamb is the perfect touch for that region. Let's do a regional in Fargo. ... we'll seed the three Minnesota teams there. ... and sorry, #41 team in the pairwise rankings that has to travel halfway around the globe to get there, but oh, for cute. ... you betcha know where yer headed!

Woody Long likes this.
  4. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

Once upon a time Holy Cross was that sacrificial lamb facing Minnesota in this identical situation . . . and they beat a Gopher team that had Phil Kessel, Alex Goligoski, and Blake Wheeler.

5. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

I know that TV thing is purportedly the reason, and I think it's a dumb one. They could find a way to stagger it - hockey semis on Thursday or Friday, and then final Sunday afternoon. Additionally, it rests on a state of denial as to the nature of the college hockey fanbase, which is intensely devoted to its sport but not all that large; there are just not that many people who would watch college hockey if only they weren't watching basketball.

I will readily admit that it would create headaches for the NCAA to have the men's and women's basketball Final Fours, and the Frozen Four, all on the same weekend, and would spread them awfully thin, which I find a much better justification for the hockey delay.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

One time in high school I got caught up watching a Frozen Four game that I found riveting (couldn’t tell you who.) Finally that was done and I turned the channel - to discover Duke was wrapping up its upset of what was supposed to be an invincible UNLV. I hadn’t watched because I expected a rout.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

That was the Northern Michigam-BU 3 OT game.

dixiehack likes this.
  8. The Big Ragu

I didn't know that one. Thx.

I do remember the Harvard team you were talking about that beat U of M in 1989 well. Someone mentioned Chris Drury; his older brother Ted was an important player for that team. The goalie was Allain Roy; no relation to Patrick.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

And the heart and soul of the last great Buffalo Sabres teams. One period away from the Finals.

CD Boogie likes this.
  10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Buffalo to Fargo on a charter is actually not a bad flight. BUF to MSP is only about two hours, so add another 30 minutes for the 200 more miles to Fargo.

DU has the crappiest trip, DEN to Manchester. Here's your reward for winning the national title.

11. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Pierre McGuire’s son is a centre on Colgate.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2023
  12. The Big Ragu

You just inadvertantly answered a question for me.

During some ECAC games on ESPN+ this year, they have been running this conference ad with McGuire narrating, and I had wondered WHY he was narrating it. I hadn't put 2+2 together that that was his son.

Tighthead likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted