1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA Football Week 8 Running Thread: The Brian Greasy Edition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

It's bad enough to get shithoused on National TV like this, but to get in a brawl with :04 left in the half?

Bye Rick.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Missed the brawl. Damn.

So have I missed the Pirate-to-Westwood talk?

3. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Gholston suspended for Wisconsin game, and every Michigan fan can now stop whining.

4. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Damn, why couldn't they have played this badly two weeks ago? My Cougs lost to THIS team? Oy vey.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Figure ticket sales will be the final straw. When people stop coming out to watch, you pretty much have to make a change.
    The problem is that anybody worth a damn who could actually turn the program around won't want anything to do with UCLA, though I could see Bellotti ending up there.

6. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

My bad -- Palmer tossed out Leach's name for the Arizona full-time gig. Not a peep was heard from Craig James.

Edit to reflect comment was for Arizona job, not UCLA.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

LSU's secondary is absolutely absurd, even without Tyrann Mathieu and elite nickelback Tharold Simon. Morris Claiborne is actually LSU's top cover corner. Strong safety Brandon Taylor is the best run-stuffer on the team, making up for a (relatively) weak linebacking corps. Free safety Eric Reid may be the most underrated player on a team loaded with them; I wouldn't be surprised if he eventually became the best pro on the team. It will hurt to lose Mathieu and Simon, but Auburn won't be doing a lot of throwing even with two top cornerbacks out.

Spencer Ware will be a bigger loss than Mathieu, even if Mathieu is the most dynamic player in the country. Michael Ford and Alfred Blue are good players, but they're not as reliable as Ware. And if LSU jumps out to an early lead, which should happen against an overmatched Auburn team, it will look to pound the ball. Maybe they turn to their two blocking fullbacks, James Stampley and J.C. Copeland.

Regardless, LSU should be able to completely overpower Auburn. The point of intrigue is in the quarterback matchup: Jordan Jefferson has looked excellent in very limited playing time, but clearly Les Miles prefers to keep with what's working now. Still, Jefferson beat out Jarrett Lee three years ago and held onto the starting job in three successive preseason camps. I have a hard time believing Jefferson isn't the better option as starting quarterback if this team wants to leave Bryant-Denny Stadium with a win on Nov. 5.

8. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Versatile, I think LSU's secondary loses its identity. Their best unit is when Mathieu is at nickel (his best position) and Simon comes in at corner. To me, Simon's a better pure cover corner than Mathieu and may be a better prospect as a cover guy than Claiborne because Simon is a long-armed 6-foot-3 and still has loose enough hips to turn and run (and he runs well too).

LSU's at its best when teams try to spread them out and they are in their nickel package and they have Simon, Claborne and Mathieu playing up in receivers' faces. When Mathieu is doing this on a slot receiver, he's at an angle where he can instead come on a blitz and he's so dangerous at that.

Anyway, LSU's ability to play across-the-board press man is compromised. Brooks, the fourth corner in the rotation who will start for Mathieu, is a notch below the top three. I don't even know who the next corner would be so in a nickel they might bring in a safety as the third cover guy and that's a clear drop off from having Mathieu at the nickel.

At RB, Ford and Blue are good but they don't quite have the power element that Ware brings. Their third fullback, Hilliard, is also a power TB, so he might get some carries. Copeland and Stampley are strictly blockers (Copeland was a defensive lineman) and I would be surprised if either get a touch.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

This could be a great last month of the season......

Oregon @ Stanford
    LSU @ Alabama
    Oklahoma @ Oklahoma St.

10. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

I don't think Oregon will have a chance without James being healthy.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I agree, to a degree. If they don't have those three back against Alabama, that's a killer. Maybe I underestimate Auburn, but I can't imagine how it will be a huge problem in this game.

Auburn is weak across the board on defense and can't pass. If Stephen Garcia doesn't play for South Carolina and John Brantley had been healthy for Florida, Auburn would be 2-4 right now. Michael Dyer and Onterio McCalebb are a great pair of running backs, but neither Mathieu nor Simon (aside: when I called Simon a nickelback, I meant he came in on nickelback packages, if there was confusion) was essential to LSU's run defense.

LSU -- not just its secondary -- does lose its identity to a degree. Mathieu, Simon and Ware are three of the team's six best players. (My rankings: 1. Mathieu, 2. Claiborne, 3. Rueben Randle, 4. Ware, 5. Reid, 6. Simon.) But it's a one-game thing, it seems. Synthetic pot shouldn't lead to any more of a suspension.

My guess: LSU wins easily, albeit not by 30 points as it might have with Mathieu, Simon and Ware. Then those come back, and we have the Game of the Year.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Times-Picayune reporting Mathieu, Ware and Simon will all be back for the Bama game:

http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2011/10/source_suspended_lsu_football.html

Draft saved Draft deleted