1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA Football Week 7 Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

The moment I saw the pass go up, I shouted at the TV because I knew it would be incomplete. Mark Mangino loves to call fades in similar situations for KU, and it never works. I wish these coaches would get the point sometime.

That said, fun game to watch tonight with nothing else on TV. Can't always say that for Wednesday night games.

2. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I don't think any coach has ever given me an adequate answer for why more teams don't just run in short-yardage, ESPECIALLY for 2-point conversions. All people do is pass in those situations these days, so you'd think any run up the middle with any decent back would get the job done.

All I ever hear is "the game is different these days."

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Pathetic play-calling by Wannstedt. Why does he still have a job?

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Because anyone is better by comparison than this guy:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The early birds who got LSU -9 will get a very nice feast. Though I agree that anything up to -13 also gets the job done. UK is in waaaaay over its head, and I don't give a crap if it's in Lexington.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

TGD,

You should hear some of th Pitt people crowing that "see, Stanford bailed on Harris too soon." Like that quik-kicking idiot would have had Stanford within 40 points of USC last week. As for Wannstedt, I was tricked into liking the hire, which with the defensive coordinator (and you saw how good the defense is tonight) being the next guy in line for the job. That Said, in typical Pitt fashion, they half-assed the hiring process. They hire Wannstedt, then retain DC Rhoads because the players liked him and they thought that would soothe over some of the pro-Wlat guys. Then you bring in an OC in Cavanaugh that has one of the most boring, scripted offensive resumes in the country and its a resume for disaster. And can anyone tell my why Darrell Strong is considered a clutch player enough to have that fade tossed his way? The only bright spot is that Shady McCoy really looks to be something special.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Sometimes I try really hard to remember that the people who set these lines know more than the media (and not just at Texas A&M), but I can't imagine any 5-10 injuries that would limit LSU to beating UK by more than nine points.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'd take Wlat over Wannstedt any day. Wannstedt is Kotite-level bad.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I'm starting to agree with you. History has shown that pro coaches stepping into college (June Jones, Pete Carroll, Al Groh, etc.) normally lead to above average results at worst, like 7-5 and a bowl, so I wentwith the averages. Christ, Wannstedt hasnt even pulled that off. He might actually be worse as a college head coach than NFL.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Bad call and all, I think some people are going to remember Shady after tonight. That lateral movement at the line of scrimmage is something which is not taught.

11. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

One week after Mizzou plays the most complete game I've ever seen it play comes the biggest game of the Pinkel era.

I can't say I expect to see a win at Norman. But I do think how Mizzou plays will dictate the rest of the season. If they play like they always have on the road under Pinkel, then it's hello Sun Bowl again. A blowout in my mind means there's no damn way they're winning both road games at KState and Colorado.

If, on the other hand, they give Oklahoma a game... then I'll entertain Big 12 North possibilities. And I suppose I should also mention that if the defense plays even half as good as it did against Nebraska the rest of the year, Mizzou will be one tough out.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm getting to the point where I'd rather Pitt not be on national TV so much. Then I won't have to watch this garbage any more. But hey, I did get to catch yet another story about the McKillop brothers fighting with one another.

Draft saved Draft deleted