1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA credentialing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoCalDude, Mar 21, 2008.

1. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I do that all the time, unless I'm on deadline. As a matter of fact, I've seen plenty of occasions, especially during the day games, when writers refuse to ask questions on the podium so that the players can come down and their time away from the spotlight can be maximized.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

That's the way to go for your own beat for sure. I do the same thing at my conference tournament.

3. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Wish I had that option tonight.
    Alas, since my game is tipping off at 9:55 p.m. Eastern, no such luck.

4. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

I don't know. The guy sitting right in front of me actually has a Sprint card plugged in.

5. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Is it like this for other NCAA championships?

6. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Clearly, your options are limited on deadline. I'm content to get whatever I can in the pressers at that point, obviously.

And I've been using a Verizon card the entire time I've been here so far and nobody's said a word to me.

7. patchs

patchs Active Member

The SID relationship can't be underestimated.
    We cover a D1 program and its longtime SID was famous for being fair to small papers.
    When the regionals were at his place, we always were treated very well, 2 or 3 writers credentials and a photog.
    When it was over, I would send him all of the sections and a thank you note so he knew we were there to work and not just watch the games.
    He would send a note saying how good our coverage was, a class act.
    Fast forward a few years, my new boss says the big-time D1 team affects local coverage and we won't be covering them anymore. (that's another thread). I told the new SID this was not my decision and not to hold it against us in the future.
    Year later, regionals are back and the boss gives us permission to cover them (since March is a dead month for HS sports).
    I send in a credential request and it's rejected, I call and ask why and the SID gives me the 90 percent rule. Technically, the SID was right, but...
    I said, "C'mon, for 30 years, we covered your team and the first year we don't, and you know why we didn't, you can't give me 1 credential?"
    Nope, nothing.
    The boss is gone and we're covering the team again so I hope the next time the regionals come to town, we get one.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Someone explain why you have to drink in blue fucking cups, please.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Because the NCAA wants the logo on the cups visible should the media table get on camera.

10. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

They actually pour the drinks into the cup for you. No chance an actual can or bottle will get on camera, not that you could get anything other than Coca-Cola (the NCAA's "corporate champion) in these arenas anyway.

11. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

We don't cover nearly 90 percent of a team we go with in the NCAA's. it is just not practical for us. But, we have covered the team each time this team went into the NCAA tournament. The SID wants the publicity from the larger daily. The school isn't in our circ area, but it garners enough interest to at least keep tabs when they are good.

If they ever said the "90 percent thing" then we wouldn't go to the tournament and the institution loses out. It's up to the SID, not the NCAA to determine who is in their coverage area and should follow.

ON a side note. We are a paper that sends 2 and sometimes 3 writers to NCAA games. Three years ago there was an NCAA tournament game just outside our market.It's about 75 minutes away. We are a hair under 50,000 circ and were denied credentials.

I was at the tournament last year though and I gotta say that at those 1st two round sites there isn't much room on press row. I had to fight with people to get seated for the team I was covering.

The problem is their is a proliferation of media. Every darn metro has 3 seats. Add in the local's etc and it gets crowded pretty quick.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'd go thirsty on general principle.

Or put my drink between my legs (heh).

Draft saved Draft deleted