1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA can bite me

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Football_Bat, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Isn't that much cheaper than it used to be?

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

The best was an NCAA goon two years ago trying to tell a guy he couldn't use his wireless card in the arena and him telling them to basically fuck off.

3. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Good for him.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It never fails to amaze me:

1. That some folks think they can push people around like that.

2. That some folks accept being pushed around like that.

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Can't remember how much they charged last year, but it was enough that my 3 person coverage team signed up once, did our work offline and then shared the password with each other when it was time to send.

Oh, and the campus ROTC building right outside the door of the media center had free wireless and it paid to sit closer on that side of the room

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Yes, it is much cheaper than it used to be. It was $30/day in or around 2006.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Last time I covered the tournament, the wireless came and went as it pleased in two of the three weekends I was around. Talk about stressful, especially with those 9:50 p.m. games.

Funny, I never got a discount for the crappy service they gave me.

8. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

Here's a question...why not find alternate sources of internet? I'm sure in this modern age that downtown arena locations have WiFi that might even be free or at least cheaper.

9. alex.riley21

alex.riley21 Member

This is why I liked covering the NIT - you always know where you're going (Madison Square), the internet is free and even though you had to pay a few bucks for the meal it wasn't too bad. Oh, and you're in NYC not Greensboro, NC or Spokane. No offense to those cities.

10. writingump

writingump Member

Just got an e-mail confirming acceptance of credentials for the women's sub-regional in Cincinnati and it said wireless was free. The men's tourney might be another story for all I know, though.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Correct. I was just reading through the same thing. It was $16 a day in Norfolk the last time I covered a regional, and when I covered one in Chicago, it was $30 a day.

12. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

No idea if the sub-regionals are different than the regionals, but if I remember correctly, wireless at the regionals last year, both on game day and practice day, was $16.

Draft saved Draft deleted