1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA baseball tournament thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by micropolitan guy, May 29, 2006.

1. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

um, DUH, :) ... point is, they're NOW an ACC team

2. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I agree about the SEC. Some years you could take all 12 teams. This year you could have taken nine. It's the best baseball conference by a wide margin, in my opinion.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The college baseball regular season is over -- just as, in 2/3 of the nation, the weather finally becomes barely adequate to play baseball.

All college baseball teams north of the Mason-Dixon line should tell the NCAA to move the regular season to May-July, and the NCAA playoffs/CWS to August, or else they are dumping the sport.

4. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

yeah, sure, byebye. nice having you around

have collegiate athletics when nobody's in school. good idea.

5. Hammer Pants

If all the teams above the Mason-Dixon dropped baseball, would it change the CWS that much?

6. WS

WS Member

wouldn't change it at all.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Uhhh, virtually every NCAA D-I school conducts summer session.

As it stands now, college players in the North play 30-40 games for their school (with 10-20 rained or snowed out), and then go and play 60-80 games for their summer league team in Cape Cod, Alaska or wherever.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I remember Florida and Tennessee in Omaha last year.

But when did Baylor, Texas, Tulane, Arizona State, Oregon State and Nebraska, the other teams at the 2005 CWS,  join the SEC?

20 college players were selected in the first round of the 2005 MLB draft. Not one played at an SEC school.

Now let's see if they actually do something at the CWS as an ACC team (or even get there), when so many others before them with artificially high RPIs have fallen on their ass.

9. Hammer Pants

Hey Micro,

How does one stat from one draft change what I said? Top to bottom, I think the SEC is the strongest league in the country. Every team in that league is tough. Tennessee has several future high draft picks on its team this year — Arencibia, Borbon, Delmonico and Atkins, for sure, and maybe a couple of more — and the Vols finished 10th. Florida also went to Omaha last year and didn't make the SEC tournament this year.

Good players come from everywhere. Do you think the ACC is better? The Pac-10? The Big XII? I don't think you can say any of those leagues are better.

And the only reason Hochevar wasn't taken in the top 5 last year was because he was a Boras guy. Teams thought he would be hard to sign, and seeing how he hasn't signed yet, they were right.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I know it's a narrow approach, but ... isn't the last CWS champion from the SEC LSU in 2000? And Georgia in 1990 is the last non-LSU team to win the CWS, right?

Shouldn't the SEC have more to show for itself than that if it's so superior to everyone else?

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Yes, good players do come from everywhere, not just the SEC. I'm not saying those other leagues are necessarily better. But generally they're just as good and the SEC isn't the beat-all, end-all of college baseball as it believes it is. Great venues and great crowds don't always mean the best talent, as evidenced by the 2005 draft.

12. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

These best conference debates always amuse me. We don't play on any of these teams, so who gives a shit?

Draft saved Draft deleted