1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA Bans Wedge Blocks & Eye Black Messages Starting in 2010

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Apr 15, 2010.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

World-class athletes enabled and pampered for at least 8-10 years all of a sudden having the kind of perspective you ascribe to them? Enough real-world examples countering your assertion. And players of all races went about 70-80 years without turning the end of a TD run into something Moddy would watch on Broadway

2. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

Honest question Dooley, are you a fat, old, white guy? (For the record I would probably fall under this heading and I think this rule stinks.)

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Actually, I'm Elmo Wright, and I'm remorseful for what I have wrought.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

If they're both undefeated and gunning for the biggest of the postseason bucks? We've already seen the never-ending whoredom level of officials
    working the games of certain conferences. It ain't changin' until somebody
    puts a stop to it -- and don't wait for the whores to do it.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

White. Shoes. Johnson.

That was 30 years ago.

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

The wedge block issue and the eye black issue I have no problems with the rule.

However, the taunting penalty taking away a touchdown is ridiculous -- and will cause far more controversy than it will solve.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Actually, I love it when some palooka lineman paints his face all up for the big game like the Steroid Guy in "The Program," and then his team loses. Then he walks off the field in tears, grease paint streaming down his face.

FAIL

8. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Not to mention that the stickers don't work. Eye black does.

http://archopht.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/121/7/997

9. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I would've thought the wedge block was taken away years ago, like with the fumblerooskie.

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

So if a guy takes a flying leap into the end zone, that's a penalty and no touchdown now?
    And it is going to be a judgment call for refs if a guy is high-stepping as people go for his feet. It could considered taunting, or a legit away to avoid tacklers.
    Just seems like the NCAA is reaching. How big a problem is taunting or eye black now?

11. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

Nicely done.

12. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Starting defense!!! Place at the table!!! Wooooooo!!!

I contemplated head-butting car windows on the last day at my old shop. It was between that or upper-decking the toilet in the publisher's private bathroom.

Sadly, I chose neither.

Draft saved Draft deleted