1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA alleges "major violations" at Memphis under Calipari

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by imjustagirl, May 27, 2009.

1. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Exactly what I was thinking.

2. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

I don't recall saying he made "more money" than the next guy.  I pretty much came to the conclusion that Rose probably doesn't care one ioda about his one year of unpaid basketball as said by the guy you're riding for due to the millions he's making now.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I fail to see why I should care about this "infraction." The pros and colleges can't have it both ways. If you are going to make players who don't care about school give a year's service to some hoop factory before they can play pro ball, it seems to me those players have no moral obligation to give a damn about the NCAA's rules. They don't WANT to play in college, it's being forced on them.
    I was very good at taking standardized tests, so this could be an exciting career opportunity for me. What's the weather like in Lexington, KY?

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Ding, ding, ding -- buy this man a cigar.

Exactly right.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Is allowing an non-team member to fly on the team plane that big of a deal? It doesn't sound like they gave the guy/girl money to fly first class somewhere, they just allowed him/het to use an open seat.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Except nobody forces players to go to college. The NBA has a requirement for employment in the league and it isn't college enrollment.

But the kids can go directly into their chosen profession. We've seen kids go to Europe and play. Nobody is stopping a kid from signing with the USBL or the ABA out of high school. The players, for the most part, decide that college for a year or two is their best option, but saying they are forced to go to college for a year isn't correct.

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Division I basketball is on television and played in front of large crowds. If you are at a marquee institution or one like Memphis which is bound to be in the NCAA Tournament and thus increase your visibility, profile and that increases your marketability, not too mention you are perceived to be playing against the best competition of your peers.

If you play in the USBL or ABL nobody might ever find you, your marketability is zero and you aren't ever going to be on television in front of large crowds not too mention the fact that you wouldn't be eligible for the draft and thus you'd lose a lot of leverage to get a good first contract as you'd be a free agent coming from a garage league that nobody has heard of.

Yes, that seems like a reasonable choice to me. ::)

8. And the zag is ahead on all cards at this point.

9. Jake_Taylor

There's obviously reasons most of the kids go to college, I'm just saying nobody is forcing them. That said, if I was say, Michael Beasley, a few years ago and had no interested in actually being in school or following the NCAA's rules and some USBL team offered me $60,000 to play for the summer before I entered the draft I might think about it.

They show high school games on ESPN now. If a young player is good enough people are going to be interested in watching him play whether it's at Kansas State or for the Dodge City Legends.

10. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Then why put on some front that taking the non-college option as an easy choice?

Seriously....the "nobody is forcing them" jive is toothless.

11. JackS

JackS Member

First of all, the USBL hasn't played a game in two years. Secondly, even when it was in existence, the *team* budget for an entire season was $47,500...

http://tinyurl.com/lk2adz

12. Jake_Taylor

Well maybe if a team or two had signed some good high school talent the league would have done better. ;D

I just said USBL because it was the first minor league basketball operation that came to my head. It could be any league that had an owner willing to shell out a few bucks. And there's still Europe, which is an option a couple of kids have taken. I still say nobody forced Beasley or Rose to go to college and if they had played elsewhere for a year they'd still be in the NBA right now.

Draft saved Draft deleted