1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBC's Brian Williams recants story about being in a helicopter brought down in Iraq

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TopSpin, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I hope he gets lower ratings than Olbermann.

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Agreed. That's why I would have morale concerns about NBC. Any of the hundreds of off-air newsroomers who they'd have been shit-canned, not demoted for $4 million to MSNBC.

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

My guess is he either takes over at CBS - O'Donnell's contract is up or he ends up fronting CNN's streaming service. Zucker already kicked the tires on Maddow, so I'm guessing he figures he needs a name.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

His show on MSNBC is one of the more informative hours in cable news. I watch it often.

garrow likes this.
  7. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Williams screwed up and paid the price for it.

His 11 pm show was great. Tremendous broadcaster.

It’ll be interesting to see where he lands. Guessing a show with a mix of news and entertainment.

8. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Massive failure on the Iraq story aside, I always thought Brian did a good job

9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

After Jennings died, I switched to NBC. If Williams had just told the story straight — which was probably harrowing enough — he’d still be on the nightly news. I like Lester, but he pulls his punches too often.

Mngwa likes this.
  10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Agree with what was said about the 11th Hour. It's smart and good news programming and Williams is excellent in the role.

garrow likes this.
  11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I'm sure he got tired of being No. 6 in the evening lineup, behind slapdicks like Chris Hayes and Ari Melber.

12. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Lawrence O'Donnell should have been the closer; Chris Hayes at 10. Go Reid, Williams, Maddow. Ari Melber should be fired into the sun.

Draft saved Draft deleted