1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBC's Brian Williams recants story about being in a helicopter brought down in Iraq

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TopSpin, Feb 4, 2015.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

If Williams isn't fired, Tim Johnson should apply at NBC News.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I have no doubt that he admires the military, this was not a matter of screwing up the story once. This has been repeated on more than one occasion, so the 12 year fog of memory doesn't fly with me.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

He'll have a job waiting at AL.com.

RecoveringJournalist likes this.
  5. old_tony

[​IMG]

Songbird likes this.
  6. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Hard to make the argument for him not being fired, but I also don't think the nightly news anchors really need to be "trusted" by the audience any longer. Not sure anyone cares enough.

7. old_tony

On Letterman in 2013 he was still convinced he was on that shot-down copter.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Now calls into question whether he was was really in Cambodia in '68 on a gun boat.

YankeeFan likes this.
  9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I knew he didn't come up with Rapper's Delight.

Hokie_pokie likes this.
  10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

He should be fired and his balls should be deflated.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

So he misremembered a few details. So what? People who have gone through trauma often misremember details. Additionally, why is the media so eager to discredit the story of news anchors who claim they were shot down at war in a helicopter? News anchors who are say they were shot down at war in a helicopter are to be believed, no matter what.

#IStandWithBrian

YankeeFan likes this.
  12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

What may be more disconcerting is that Ret General Walt Downing who was previously head of Special Forces would
    have had to be a willing partner in the lie. He was working for NBC at the time.

Draft saved Draft deleted