1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBC to send Conan packing? WTF?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

That reminds of when a pitcher is described as an "innings eater." Is he any good? Well, no, but you can use him three days in a row and he never goes on the DL.

2. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Good analogy. When it comes to late night TV, not a lot of people on the East Coast make it past the first guest, so those 11 minutes plus the post-commercial comedy bit count for a lot.

3. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I don't know what this says about Conan's future, but I can confirm that Masturbating Bear interviewed for the GA job at the Orlando Sentinel. It's pretty much a money issue at this point.

4. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

NBC could throw tons -- tons -- of money at Stewart to try to lasso the coveted 18-35 demograpic.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

The 18-35 demo doesn't want to be caught dead watching any talk show at 11:30, much less the NBC show, because it associates that show/time slot with the bluehairs, as Mizzou dubbed 'em.

That said, I can totally see NBC blowing millions to learn what I'd tell them for free.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

And Conan's audience is what?

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Watching at 12:35.

Edit: And as I theorized earlier, Conan moving to 11:35 in 2009 is a natural progression for the show and its target audience. By that point, a lot of *gulp* us will be out of the 18-35 bracket and willing to follow him to 11:35.

Will 18-35 jump to NBC just to see Stewart? I'm not so sure.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Jay Leno=Walt Terrell

9. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

The answer to your question, BYH, is very simple: A big *maybe* that the younger of the demographic will jump, and No, the older of the 18-35ers will not jump to NBC to see Stewart, IMHO.

10. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

A problem for Stewart whether he stays at the Daily Show or goes somewhere else, is that Bush won't be President anymore, and the Dems will probably win. His entire fan base is from the left, his stock in trade is making fun of the right. If the President is a democrat, making fun of him/her will not seem as funny to his fan base.

The smartest thing he could do is leave at the end of his contract and reinvent himself after taking a hiatus to see how the political situation shakes out. For NBC to hire him over Conan is ridiculous, Conan is very well liked by the 18-35 demographic, and isn't nearly as polarizing.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The election of a democratic president would have little to no affect on Stewart's popularity.

12. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

You're probably right, Zeke. But it's tough to argue that eight years of my boy Dubya have been a gold mine for Stewart. The Daily Show wasn't anything like its current self in 1999.

Draft saved Draft deleted