1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBC Setting Olympics Ratings Records (30% above network expectations)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deeper_Background, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

NBC may break even as viewership exceeds expectations
    August 2, 2012
    Television viewers are so excited about the Olympics that NBC’s corporate owners said Wednesday they now expect to break even on the London Games after once predicting they'd take a $200 million loss.

Through five days of events, ratings are some 30 percent higher than what NBC had privately predicted, said NBCUniversal CEO Steve Burke. That means NBC can sell more commercial time than expected and charge higher prices for them.

Despite social media complaints about NBC’s policy of filling its prime time with events taped earlier in the day, it hasn’t dissuaded television viewers. There are even indications that it may have helped: 38.7 million people tuned in Tuesday night, when Americans easily could have learned by dinnertime that the country’s women’s gymnastics team won a gold medal that day and swimmer Michael Phelps set a record for career medals earned.

"The guys in the office who make the most noise complaining about NBC’s tape delay watch it for four hours every night,’’ said Anthony Crupi, staff writer at Advertising Week.

http://www.boston.com/sports/other_sports/olympics/articles/2012/08/02/olympic_tv_ratings_exceeding_expectations/

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Re: Top 10 Patriotic Sports Towns (NBC Ratings up 8% from live coverage)

I didn't think anybody stayed up past 8 pm in Fort Myers.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It's a flawed argument. They showed one guy live in 2008, not all events. And they only showed him live in the Eastern and Central time zones. It was on one-hour delay in the Mountain time zone and three-hour delay in the Pacific time zone.

And we don't know how high the ratings would be if the "marquee" events were shown live as they happened and replayed for the aunts and grandmas in prime time -- because NBC refuses to do it.

And the ratings are where they are because NBC is offering no other alternative to watching the events on 55-inch high-def TV sets, which is my preference (and the preference for the vast majority of people, I'm sure) over my 18-inch computer monitor.

It's the Olympics, people want to watch. So to crow about high ratings "working" on tape delay has no meaning. It's the only option being provided so of course people will watch when they actually show up on their high-def sets.

ESPN crowed about its high ratings for Wimbledon and the British Open. Same with the Euro soccer tournament and the World Cup from South Africa. All shown live. What a concept!

NBC is old media in a new media world. It's out of touch and basically just dusted off the guidebook from the 1988 Seoul games and following the instructions.

It's woefully out of touch.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

MileHigh, I want to support your argument, but you keep talking about this "Mountain time zone" and I feel like we're in Brigadoon.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

How did deep get the link in the middle of the post like that? He must not have modified yet

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

MileHigh,

Perhaps you recall, perhaps not. The vast majority of Seoul stuff was live in the US. Track and field in prime time (late morning/early afternoon in Korea). Gymnastics on the early morning show. Diving in prime time. Basketball prime time and late night. Opening ceremonies live on Friday prime time in US (Saturday morning in Korea). The only major exception was swimming, which organizers refused to move finals to morning time slots.

Ratings were low, but that likely had more to do with it coming in September than the time issue.

NBC's philosophy is to appeal to family and general audiences, not the diehard sports fan. It's also easier to fill in delays (like between swimming events) and edit in features and such than it is when showing it live.

We've been dealing with this for more than 20 years now. I long ago figured out how to block out knowing results when it suited me.

7. MileHigh

Yeah, I do remember that. I just picked the first year of NBC taking over from ABC. I should have said NBC is following CBS's 1960 playbook: It's delayed because they're flying the film canisters back across the pond.

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Let's wait and see the numbers for the whole Games before we uncross our fingers.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I suspect the numbers will be good. It's July and there's not much else going on. Most other networks are showing reruns. NBC has hyped this enough for the months leading into it to make Joe Public believe it's important.

No matter how you slice it, even in this 24-hour society, a show airing at 8 p.m. is going to get better ratings than something at 11 a.m. We're the exception to the rule. Most people won't adjust their life schedule for the sake of seeing something live vs. on tape

10. MileHigh

How do we know that? NBC has never done it. Show it at 11 a.m. Replay it/package your main events for 8 p.m. Even if people DVR it because they're at the lake or on a hiking trail on Sunday afternoon, fine, they can DVR it -- and the ratings/views still count. How about letting people choose themselves when to watch events -- live, in prime time, at 3 a.m. -- instead of this hard-core, it's got to be in prime time. It's a different world. Adjust.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

NBC changed management in the late 1980s and changed philosophies. The idea after Seoul was people wanted tear-jerker stories, not live events. If there are 30 divers per round, show 4-5 and edit in three features. That was about the time they went to tape delay at Wimbledon and everything else except NFL/NBA,.

1992 was the Olympic Triplecast. NBC marketed it as a chance to watch the stuff live. I may have been the only person who bought it. I loved it, but apparently a lot of people passed.

1996 was the real puzzler. With the Games in Atlanta, it set up for everything to be live, but NBC ducked. They let the Europeans dictate the gymnastics schedule, with events starting at 4 or 5 p.m. ET for the sake of European TV. Then they taped a lot of the track and diving stuff for the sake of micromanaging and cutting out what they didn't want.

2000 was in September in Sydney which was a disaster on all fronts. They would show some stuff on cable in the middle of the night, but all the marquee stuff was on a 15-17-hour tape delay.

Most of the marquee stuff from Salt Lake City in 2002 was live except alpine skiing.

Athens in 2004 and Torino in 2006 had afternoon stuff live and prime time stuff on tape because of the time difference.

Beijing you could go live in prime time and late night with swimming, gymnastics, basketball and volleyball Track wasn't going to switch its schedule, so that was a 17-hour taped deal.

The bigger deal to me was always the 3-hour tape delay for the west coast. If you can show NFL/NHL games live in the early evening, why not something as big as the Olympics?

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

NBC did that with the Triplecast in 1992. I'm shocked they are not charging a fee for the live streaming this year. If I were still in the business, I would have paid whatever for that, but it wasn't available then.

When you have to pay billions for rights fees, you can show it (or not show it) whenever you feel like it.

If they believed they could do better by going live, why wouldn't they? It's not like a lack of technology is holding anyone back.

I think they do much better now than 20 years ago in Barcelona. They show some events (like this synchro diving) almost full without hoping around from one venue to another. I understand they can't do that too much. If you say "we're going to show swimming from 7-9 and then go to gymnastics at 9 p.m." a lot of people will turn the channel or go to the store and come back for what they personally want. So you have to hop around a certain amount in order to keep people glued to the set. The key is not too much.

Draft saved Draft deleted