1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBC flexes it Olympics muscles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Left_Coast, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

BEIJING (AP) - Swimming and most gymnastic finals will be held in the mornings at the 2008 Beijing Olympics, allowing NBC to televise those high-profile events live in the lucrative prime-time American market.

2. markvid

markvid Guest

See Seoul, 1988.
    Most track finals in the morning, as were opening ceremonies.

3. LIVE coverage on NBC?
    I'm amazed.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Sad thing is that they'll still be shown "plausibly live" so they can edit out all the dead time and rejigger the events to ramp up the drama (a la Kerry Strug in '96).

5. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

It won't be live out here. :mad:

6. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

What about track and field?

7. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

And put in all the BS profiles and overhyping of American athletes. Don Olhmeyer should be put in jail for what he did to the Olympics....

8. You mean they didn't always suck? Huh, who knew?

Apparently if you can somehow get canadian channels on a satellite, you can see the Olympics covered like sports. I'm told all you need is a fake canadian address.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Actially, if I recall correctly, Keri Strug's heroics took place in the afternoon. There are so many damn swimming events, some finals are in the daytime no matter where the Games are. I've covered daytime swim finals in Atlanta and in Sydney.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Dick Ebersole has more muscle than Allah I guess.

11. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

We're spoiled in Canada. Not only is just about all of it live (except the nighttime package, obviously, when the Games aren't in North America), but we have two networks (one French, one English) doing comprehensive coverage. That, plus the U.S. basic cable (and premium cable stations some of us get, nudge, nudge, wink, wink), and you can go back and forth and back and forth until you find something you really want to watch.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Track and field finals (except for the marathon) will be at night in Beijing. Men's basketball final will be during the afternoon, but that shouldn't affect the U.S.

Draft saved Draft deleted