1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBC fail

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by budcrew08, Feb 28, 2010.

1. dog428

dog428 Active Member

If he doesn't have Larry David to clean his shit up, Seinfeld sucks at anything entertainment-related except stand-up. This is not the first idea he's pitched NBC since the old show went off the air. It was the best idea, though, which should tell you something.

I hope it dies the quick, embarrassing death it deserves, and I hope we never hear from Seinfeld again. He deserves to fall off the Earth for walking away from "Seinfeld" when he did.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

While cutting away from the closing ceremonies for The Marriage Ref may not be as bad as the Heidi Game, the closing ceremonies aren't a pro football playoff game, but then, The Marriage Ref was no Heidi.
    I had the show pegged just from the promos. Something happened to Seinfeld and his wife, Papa was in the room. NBC came to Seinfeld begging for something, anything that they could put his name on. He mentions the argument with his wife and how they settled it and they said "Wow, what a great idea for a TV show. It's almost like Seinfeld is punking NBC by coming up with the dumbest idea for a show that gets on air. Probably the worst self-absorbed decision since Battlefield Earth. More appropriate for Bravo (at best).
    I remember looking forward to the last day of the Olys for a solid montage of the highs and lows of the Games while they roll credits. Ending with a bang.
    Why not put the Seinfeld show on at 7 p.m. Have Costas on previewing the closing - segue to the stupid show then come back to the ceremony?
    I hope we can go back to hammering NBC now.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

While I enjoyed Seinfeld even after Larry David left, it's become abundantly clear that David is more of a comedic genius than Jerry is and didn't get nearly enough credit for the show's success.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Marriage Ref will not be the most excruciating show ever as long as Moment of Truth remains in the annals

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

"Jerry, were you drunk when you pitched the show to NBC?"
    "That is true."
    "Jerry, do you think the NBC executives were drunk when you pitched the show to NBC?"
    "That is true."
    "Jerry, are you currently pitching a show where kids deliver their report cards to their parents to the amusement of some of your celebrity friends and assorted yahoos we plucked of the Universal Studios tram ride?
    "That is true."

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Flipping away from the closing ceremonies for a bit, I stumbled upon TV Guide's 25 worst TV blunders of all time. Conan/Leno was ranked No. 1, followed by Janet Jackson's Nipplegate.

NBC has been full of fail for a long time. Anyone remember when they tried the color-coded TV packages?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Wrong on so many levels. That was people doing it to THEMSELVES. Admitting on national TV every horrible thing you've done to your husband (I still have that blonde chick that was a special show on my old DVR. She will stay there forever) just for some money, then blowing it anyway? Self-destructing every relationship you've built?

That exposed people as the money-grubbing assholes they were. And it was a GREAT character study for that.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm watching it right now, it's beyond awful. The show is proof that NBC will do anything to stay in bed with Seinfeld.

Baldwin is qualified to be a judge based on being married to one of the most despicable people on the planet. I'm sure he wasn't easy to deal with either, but based on Basinger releasing the message he left for his daughter a few years back and encouraging her to call the ambulance when he had just taken a couple Ambien and was about to sleep, shows what a truly vindictive person she is.

She also has to be the worst actress to ever win an Oscar.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I didn't think it was that bad -- but Alec Baldwin is just really funny.

I couldn't get over wondering how they found these people to talk about their taxidermied dog or wanting a stripper pole in the bedroom and then wondering if it was real or not.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Baldwin is hilarious. I'm guessing they will not have this kind of star power every week, although Seinfeld could probably call in enough favors to do it for awhile. Oprah, Chris Rock...

I definitely thought some of the dog episode might have been staged, but there are a lot of strange people out there and a lot of people who will do or say anything to get on TV.

It would have been nice if either issue was actually tough to make a ruling on.

11. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Seinfeld famously dated Shoshanna Lonstein when he was close to 40 and she was 17. And his wife was barely back from her honeymoon when she left her husband for Jerry. So I'm not quite sure what makes him an expert...

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

May make it a great sociological or pathological study. Doesn't make it non-excruciating to watch.

Draft saved Draft deleted