1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBC buys Pro Football Talk

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Strong Bad, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Guest

Interesting, to say the least.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-profootballtalk.com15-2009jun15,0,646379.story?track=rss

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

In all seriousness, good for him, he seems like a good guy and I think his site is a hoot. And he obviously got paid something fierce, which is awesome. He gets some shit wrong, but unlike some other BLOGGGGGGERS *cough* the fraud *cough cough* he a.) seems to give a shit about it despite his lack of journalistic training and b.) doesn't seem to revel in the demise of the traditional media.

But Dick Ebersol's proclamations to the contrary aside, I wonder how a site that is now owned by an NFL partner can possibly maintain its outsider status and snark. At some point, whether it be a creative issue or a financial one, this will not end well for Florio. Ebersol will leave and someone else will take over NBC Sports and will decide Florio is a bleed on the bottom line and that there are a million bloggers out there doing this for free and they can get their NFL content without spending a dime. He's going to need that law practice again sooner or later.

It's also a little discouraging that NBCSports.com would rather just buy other sites (Rotoworld) than unearth its own writers and generate its own content. Not surprising, of course, but discouraging.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I was always under the impression the NBC had a deal with Sports Illustrated.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Florio is lucky he hasn't been sued.

He's starting to pop up on the NFL Network, meaning he's no longer just the weird outsider with a popular web site.

6. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Fill me in.

(I'm a Bears fan, so it's not like I usually have any reason to watch pro football for more than 3 weeks a season)

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Fucking awesome.

8. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

According to Florio, NBC is not buying the site.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2009/5/14/875206/mike-florio-is-at-it-again

This is just one instance of repeated behavior over the years. There was a reporter he got into it with pretty good with several years back, I think it was a Packers guy. Then there's associating Byron Leftwich with Fat Albert and other fourth-grade stuff. So endearing. But for all of that, you couldn't walk around an NFL press box at 11:30 on a gameday and not see at least one or two laptops with PFT on the screen.

10. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

You won't see Florio in a pressbox at 11:30 on gameday.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Florio is a great guy and I couldn't be happier for him getting a huge payday from his site.

But, it is inevitable that PFT will be toned down considerably as a result. That's unfortunate.

Draft saved Draft deleted