1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBC apology necessary?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ringer, Jun 20, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I think it's perfectly reasonable to argue the phrase shouldn't be included in the Pledge and should never have been added to it.

But, if you're going to use it, you use it as it currently reads.

And, maybe it was one low level staffer who did it, but I'd imagine others saw/heard it before it aired. Did they not catch it?

It's such an unforced error -- completely unnecessary.

2. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Are you illiterate? Or too dense to know the difference between sanctioned and mandated?

And to AQB: It's not irrelevant at all. If people are getting all up in arms about something whose existence is antithetical to the whole concept of the nation, I think it's entirely relevant to point out that folly.

And let's be clear: Bellamy wrote the original pledge in 1892, and other people changed HIS words -- and those changes later got the imprimatur of Congress -- after he'd died. Forgive me for not considering the revision to be sacrosanct.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I question why they needed to show the Pledge, but if you're going to do it, don't edit it.

I agree that it was likely some editor down the line for reasons of his own.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Answers to your questions: Yes. No.

5. prhack

prhack Member

I thought the whole thing was a bit strange. I understand it's the U.S. Open, but the overtly patriotic opening seemed a little out of place on a day when international players were running away with the tournament.

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

To indirectly quote Ricky Ricardo:

"NBC... you got some splainin' to do."

Yes. NBC has to answer why. Red state or blue, left or right, that's part of the Pledge.

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

But you have explained it yourself. You're trying to get U.S. viewers to stay tuned despite the foreign dominance and no Tiger. Seeing the parent network of MSNBC opting for a little Sunday afternoon flag waving makes sense in that context.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Some verrrrrry brief backgrounding: IIRC, Ike (utterly gung-ho about it) was the primary motivator behind Congress' putting UG into the POA, and IIRC, it transpired early in Ike's first term ('54).

Red Scare-time.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

And yet, nobody is complaining that they also cut "indivisible."

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Rick Perry, come to the white courtesy phone . . .

11. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Well, slick, since nobody has to say it who the hell cares?

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Just a hunch, but I'm guessing this wasn't something just put together Sunday morning. It's the open to their coverage. U.S. Open. In D.C. Let's do something trite and cliched like reciting the Pledge (since Fox has dibs on the Declaration of Independence for when it airs the Super Bowl). Somebody goofed big time. As mentioned before, if you're going to use it -- use it all.

Draft saved Draft deleted