1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBC ad refusal: Should there be outrage?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mark DeCotis, Oct 28, 2006.

1. Scribe4264

Scribe4264 Member

Or perhaps NBC recognizes that this documentary is as fact-challenged as Michael Moore's Farenheit 9/11 and wants nothing to do with it?

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how this ad "disparages" (or even criticizes Bush). It QUOTES him. You know, the lies and stuff.

On the offensive scale the ad is about a 2 out of 10.

And the new SportsJournalists.com Rhodes scholar Scribe knows something that no one else knows: that the documentary is "fact challenged".

The idiocy level grows with each post.

Oh, and Hondo, if NBC wasn't bowing to corporate pressure not to run the ads, what would be the reason? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It uses Bush quotes?

Here's yer sign...

4. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Since you've obviously seen it (no way would you, being a straight-down-the-middle, pay-no-attention-to-the-rhetoric-from-either-side kind of guy, make such a comment otherwise, surely), break it down for us.

Describe the baseless claims put forth by this film.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It would be if I asked you to prove the documents were fake.

But that isn't what I asked.

I asked you to prove that Rather KNEW they were fake and decided to use them anyway because his MOTIVATION was to SMEAR BUSH and help John Kerry get elected.

6. Stupid

Stupid Member

fucking conservative ass media

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Yeah, you're right. My mistake

I'm sure they take the high road with all their advertisers.

8. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

If they pulled from the network everything that was disparaging to Bush, there would be no news programming nor any late night talk.

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Considering their use of public airwaves, I'm not sure this is true. I'm not sure why everyone is so quick to cede NBC's right to refuse the ad on the grounds provided by the network.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Funny, I would have assumed a fourth-place network that has lost over $700 million in ad revenue in the last year alone thanks to its moronic programing decisions would be willing to personally send Jeff Zucker and Matt Lauer down to Texas and give each of the Dixie Chicks a fricken foot massage if they, or the women who produced this documentary, were willing to buy ad space on their fucked up, dumbass network. But it just proves that any network foolish enough to actually turn away people who are trying to give them money deserves be in the financial hell that NBC is currently mired in.

"Excuse me Mr. GE salesman, I'd like to buy this refrigerator!"

"Sorry son, but I can tell from your Barak Obama '08 t-shirt that you don't support the president. Lucky for you, this is America, and you can probably buy a refrigerator from the terrorist-loving cowards down at Sears. Best of luck! Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go lay off some employees."

You give 'em hell, Peacock. Keep jumping out of the bushes at internet child molestors and waxing the inner thighs of the Deal or No Deal sluts. You become a less relevant piece of the cultural zeitgeist with each passing minute.

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

On what grounds are broadcasters "allowed" to reject ads? Or must they accept any ad given to them?

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I'd like to see this same outrage when Muslim extremists threaten our right to free speech.

Draft saved Draft deleted