1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA's Stern: Turn that goddam noise down!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by goalmouth, May 13, 2008.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

OK, let me see -- the NBA's marketing people -- David Stern's wing of the league -- are now being admonished by Stern for game day atmospheres that are out of control?

What a hypocrite.

It wasn't that long ago -- read Terry Pluto's book -- that teams were getting fined for NOT having enough music and fireworks and gameday nonsense......

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

It's about time. That crap has gotten way out of hand in recent years.

4. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Can he take a swipe at the PA guys while he's at it?

(I'm looking directly at the guy in San Antonio.)

5. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Most NBA arenas are silent during most of the game, so they need something to either fill the void or get the crowd excited. I agree the endless music is horrible, but the NBA needs to find something. In counterpoint, I know the NHL doesn't have Russian operas blaring over the loud speakers and it's a quieter game.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I don't watch much NBA, but I was watching game 1 of the last round, between SA and Phoenix. I could not believe how loud and annoying that guy was. You couldn't try to be that annoying on purpose.

So there is two minutes left in regulation, a one or two point game, SA has the ball, and, during play, the PA is playing The Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again"... the cacaphony at the end, with the Keith Moon drums, the keyboard, and Roger Daltry screeching at the top of his lungs... with two minutes to go in a playoff game!

Who on earth thinks this is a good idea? Anyone?

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

This guy...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Man, was that ever set up on a tee.

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Bingo. The line 'good at first, but then went too far' certainly fits.

Don't mind the music, and that can stay as far as I'm concerned.

But, the pyrotechnics and fireworks? I've seen at least a couple games this playoff season where the first quarter was played in a foggy haze as the smoke from the fireworks dissipated. Let's remember our priorities here, folks: basketball first, fireworks, somewhere in the 100 - 1000 range.

And indoor fireworks ---um, hello? Do we really need that type of fire hazard to add excitement to our evening. Just takes one horrific mistake to turn one of these events into a 19,000 seat Great White concert.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

12. rube

rube Active Member

Just bring back organ music and the dulcet tones of Ray Clay.

Draft saved Draft deleted