1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA Trade Deadline

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef, Feb 21, 2008.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I don't like them losing Gooden for Wallace. Big Ben's ineptitude on the offensive end isn't enough to make up for his defense as the Bulls found out. Bet you Chicago was glad to dump him.

I like them picking up Delonte West.

2. Chef

Chef Active Member

Ben Wallace and Wally Sczerbiak.

That's the best they could get to help LeBron?

1. They missed by not trading for Kidd.

2. They missed big-time by not trading for Bibby.

3. rube

rube Active Member

Once again Cleveland makes another futile attempt to compete in the East. Dumping a better version of Ben Wallace (Drew Gooden) for Ben Wallace, and picking up Wally "my ankle hurts and I like to whine" Sczerbiak basically to replace Larry "my ankle hurts and I like to whine" Hughes.

Nice.

Consider last year's Finals appearance a gift Cleveland, and do us all a favor ... Just go away. LeBron is going to bail ASAP and you'll be right back where you belong ... in the cheap cellar.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

OK, I'm confused which happens a lot.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/B/BKN_THREE_TEAM_TRADE?SITE=VARIT&SECTION=SPORTS&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2008-02-21-16-22-20

As above, I think.
    It is a three-way trade? Or is it one team making two two-way trades?

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Griffin goes to the Sonics from the Bulls. That very thin thread makes it a three way.

I like the Cavs getting Smith. He can hit the mid-range when needed, right?

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Ah, thanks. Missed that.
    Off to work. Y'all behave.

7. 93Devil

Go VCU... and take U of R with you!!!

8. loveyabye

loveyabye Guest

Wow, that is some venom. Pistons fan? Game 5 attendee, perhaps?

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Yep, that futile attempt last year really hurt.

Can't wait to see teams try to score inside when Z, Ben Wallace, and Anderson Varejeo are all in the game.

Wally's having a fine year, better statistically than Hughes and he's played more games. Hughes contract was horrible, so it's a good swap.

The Cavs will only miss Gooden and Hughes, and not that much.

10. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Not sure why I'm in the minority, but I really like this trade for the Cavs.
    Wallace -- They needed a low post presence on D. Z, for as versatile as he is, has never played up to his size on defense. Two bad feet probably do that to you. Gooden was streaky at best on the defensive side. Varajao is pretty much their best low post defender but Wallace should be able to defend some bigger bodies than Varajao could. As far as scoring goes, this is where Z thrives, so the Cavs don't need too many points from Big Ben, but he should get at least 10 easy ones a game just be LeBron driving and dishing when Ben's defender comes to help on the King. The Cavs won't need Wallace to have any mid-range game.
    Wally World--Hopefully the guy's excited to come back to Ohio after his glory days with the RedHawks. Hughes' jump shot went the way of the dodo, and Pavlavich (sp?) hasn't been the same since his holdout. The Cavs needed a jump shooter and they got one. It will give the Cavs another long range threat besides Boobie.
    West--The Cavs need guards. Bad. Really, they still have the corpse of Eric Snow on their roster. This fills a need.
    Smith--Replaces some of of Gooden's numbers (better points/minute, slightly worse RBDs/min) and makes it so Brown can pick and choose where he plays Varajao, who, like Wallace, isn't the biggest offensive threat in the world.

From where they were yesterday to today? Cavs got better. They took on some money, but it's not too bad because they dumped the Hughes contract. The biggest thing they'll miss from the trade? Some of those expiring deals. But still, they're an improved squad. Now the Cavs at least won't need 50-10-10 from LBJ every night in the playoffs.

11. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Looking away from the Cavs for a sec, the Bulls had how many chances to make a big move to actually, you know, improve their team? This is the deal they make?

Be interesting to hear what they say in Chicago.

12. 93Devil

Think they can still do the Deng/Kobe thing in the off season?

Draft saved Draft deleted