1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA Playoff dullness...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bruisin Bastards, May 20, 2011.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Two games, travel day, three games, travel day, two games?

How often do NBA teams play on three consecutive days during the regular season?

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

The NBA is very easily ignored. Try it -- it's exhilarating.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

In the 1980s, several of the Celtics-76ers Eastern Conference finals had back-to-back games on Saturday and Sunday afternoons because that's the only time the network would them on the air.
    I'm tempted to say Game 3 of Miami-Chicago has been delayed because of script problems.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

OK, give them 10 if you want, but really, this isn't an Over-40 rec league. They're young enough to play three days in a row.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I thought it was because the Lakers had a midseason swoon that year that made them look a little vulnerable?

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

"Ignore the NBA! It's Fan-tastic!"

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The original poster's complaint is like the old Woody Allen line about complaining about an awful restaurant -- and the portions were so small!

8. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

LongTime, somewhere, at some time in this world, you and I could have had this very discussion over beers. I have a friend who's deeply involved in the NBA and, other than rooting for him to succeed, I loathe the NBA for all the reasons listed above.

I used to watch the NBA in the early '80s when they showed a delayed game at 11:30 p.m. on the West Coast. It always involved friends and a bevy of beverages and, whoa! the hoops was simply the best: Fast breaks, lots of passing, body-up D, three or four people crashing the boards, a hand in the face when a guy was taking a 20-footer ... just great ball. Then it all went south - right there with pro wrestling - in the mid '90s IMO.

The Kings-Lakers joke. Iverson taking five steps on his way to the rack (which ESPN later praises as a highlight), Nash shifting his feet several times after picking up his dribble before finally making a pass (which ESPN later praises as a highlight), calling a foul on the Laker nearest Kobe so the superstar avoids foul trouble and, thus, stays on the floor, walking up and down the floor, four people standing around during entire possessions while the fifth guy plays one on five, no one crashing the boards, crappy shooting despite the fact defense is near non-existent.

So, to answer the original question in this post: The gap between games doesn't bother me in the least because I don't watch the NBA.

9. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

Which is obvious, given your post's ignorance of the realities of today's league.

10. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

Ahhh, an NBA fan. Well, we're both entitled to our opinions now, aren't we?

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Agree that the playoffs should be more of an endurance test. Teams could easily go back to back in the same city, throw in the long and frequent timeouts and I don't think even I would be winded.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

With the Lakers, Spurs and Celtics all on the golf course ... these NBA conference finals have been anything but dullness.

Draft saved Draft deleted