1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA owner fined and suspended

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Apr 29, 2014.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Fox News "Kelly Files" reporter asks if someone should lose a team when the remarks were made in private. I'm tempted to flip over and hear a diatribe about the plight of the independent businessman.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Condemning Silver?

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Well, he's 80 years old, so that becomes more and more likely with each passing day.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Condemning Sterling. "He's bad, but we're OK!"

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

And that might have been part of why Silver felt confident doing what he did. I don't care about the reasoning. I just think it's awesome that Silver moved this quickly and still gave him a lifetime ban.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

It depends on what they say and who is hurt. What was Shaq's punishment for making fun of Asians?

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Silver seems to be saying prior bad acts, like the Elgin Baylor suit, were not bought into play in this decision. Almost seems ignorant of that and the housing discrimination suits ... huh?

8. YankeeFan

Was Steinbrenner's suspension originally announced as for "life"?

You might be right, but I thought it was for a set term.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Cuban is an idiot but he's right. Hey, Sterling has the right to say anything he wants. He just forgot there are consequences for such actions.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Don't be so optimistic Mizzou. I'm sure his forthcoming divorce will keep TMZ busy and Sterling in the public eye.

11. YankeeFan

Ah, OK.

Wasn't sure, since he's the son-in-law and an employee, if he was trying to distance himself from Sterling.

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

No, you take away a team from an owner because he's sullying the league's reputation and costing it money. If sponsors weren't pulling out left and right, I don't know that Silver would have been as severe. I suspect there were owners who were less concerned about the alleged slippery slope of punishing for speech when they saw sponsors walking away.

Draft saved Draft deleted