1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA On Hold Until 2010

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Mar 6, 2009.

1. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Oh, LeBron would change all that, trust me. The A-list celebs would be courtside again, there would be meaningful games and people would forget that Jimmy Dolan and Isiah ever existed.

But the bottom line on LeBron is it's just too early to get a handle on what he's likely to do. There are too many variables that can change dramatically before the time comes for him to make a decision. Will he have any rings? Will the Knicks be a playoff team by then? Will the Cavs be in the salary cap position to go after someone like Bosh themselves? But anyone who says they don't see why he'd leave just because the Cavs are much better than the Knicks at the moment just isn't seeing the big picture. And the fact that Cleveland is his hometown is, I think, a very small factor.

2. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Let the oldtimers have their misguided memories.

Far from the truth, but that's besides the point.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

And hence much of the NBA is on hold until Lebron decides what he is going to do.

4. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I know this may border on heresy because we are all supposed to love the NFL unconditionally, but I find it way harder to watch.

5. Boom_70

Don't find it harder to watch but do think the NFL has gotten pretty bland. Most of coaches are cut from the same cloth and run the same low risk playbook . I found the Cardinals and the Dolphins a breath of fresh air because to the different things they did on offense.

At this point I'll be much more entertained by almost any college football game than an NFL game.

6. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I was making a larger point about the overall talent in the league. There's just more of it.

But if you want to talk stars of today vs. stars of the '80s: Tom Chambers made four All-Star teams.

Here's another: Kelly Tripucka, who made two All-Star teams in the early '80s, couldn't even crack the rotation for most teams today. He'd get blown off the floor.

Yeah, I said it.

7. cwilson3

cwilson3 Member

Brian Scalabrine begs to differ.

8. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

He'd have fit right in with the other non-jumping white guys that populated the bench in the 80s and early 90s ... although he's still light years better than Jack Haley.

9. One problem with this argument: Players vs. Teams.

Even if players are better, teams might not be.

Oh, and the Kelly Tripucka choice is ironic, considering this year's no-name superstar.

Troy Murphy.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Troy Murphy is niether a no name nor a superstar... simply a solid NBA player...not as good as Kelly Tripucka was in his best years.

Murphy and Tripucka also were both All-Americans at Notre Dame and both are from New Jersey.

11. Boom_70

Stephon Marbury is being paid 20 mil per year as a "max star" - nuff said .

12. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Technically, Marbury is now making the veteran minimum.

Draft saved Draft deleted