1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA On Hold Until 2010

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Mar 6, 2009.

1. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

No, but we are going to call him a one-trick pony that can't make adjustments to good defensive teams.

2. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Please, lets not get into that discussion. You're telling me the players during that era were better than the players of today? You've got to be kidding me.

3. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Seriously. That was before the influx of foreign players, and before kids really began declaring early for the draft in large numbers. There were 2 or 3 (or sometimes more) players on most rosters back then who couldn't even sniff the NBA today.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

You tell us chuck:

Bird Pierce
    Mchale Garnett
    Parish Perkins/ Brown
    Johnson Allen
    Ainge Rondo

5. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I'm not sure one could make an argument that players of one era are better or worse than players of another by comparing starting lineups of one particular team.

And, it's McHale.

6. Boom_70

Then where would you start the argument?

7. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I already said ... there were guys on almost every team in the 80s who would not even sniff an NBA uniform today ... Maybe all the stars were comparable ... but the end of the bench and the middle-tier guys, forget about it.

Top to bottom, there is considerably more talent in the league now than then ...

8. Boom_70

I would disagree with you but the other side is that fans are not paying to see players on " the end of the bench" .

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

It's only logical that the overall level of play would be better in the NBA now. That was assured once the overseas door flew wide open and the very best from other countries came aboard. Same happened to the NHL when the East Bloc door flew wide open. I think the NHL today has a better quality of play now with 30 teams than it did in the 1970s when pro hockey had about 30 NHL/WHA teams.

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Yes, he adores Cleveland. Remember the hardcore support he showed for the Indians in the baseball playoffs?

Oh, wait. He took the douchebag route and wore a Yankees hat, his "favorite team".

James has said his goal is to be "a global brand." He will look seriously at the Knicks, especially if they can get Chris Bosh to listen to their pitch. Mo Williams is very good, yes. But no matter what the Cleveland fanboys think about the likes of Anderson Varejao, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Daniel Gibson, Delonte West, etc. they are not a great, "championship caliber!" nucleus going forward.

Don't forget, Mike Brown is still coach, too.

Cleveland has built a nice group around him. But LeBron James is willing them to be what they are today: a team with a very good record, that fashions itself a title contender. Hey, in the early 1990s Jordan lifted a Bulls team stocked with one-dimensional, horseshit players (aside from Pippen, Grant, and um . . . ?) to three titles. So it can be done.

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Who the hell cares who LeBron's baseball team is? Didn't know it was a rule he had to cheer for the Indians just because he's from there and happens to play in Cleveland.

12. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

There's nothing quite like the buzz of springtime in New York when the Knicks are good.

Last time that happened was maybe the Checketts era?

But I question if that buzz can ever be achieved again under the current ownership-- LeBron or no LeBron. So much bad has happened.

They've made you feel like rooting for this team is immoral.

Draft saved Draft deleted