1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jake from State Farm, Jul 29, 2021.

1. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

He's paid like a proven star, and the 76ers want a proven star in return, but he's a project. Projects get traded for picks or other projects.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I'm trying to think of a more embarrassing playoff sequence that that Simmons pass-off.

I go back to Charles Smith getting swatted three times by the Bulls.

3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

He needs to go to a bad team and just run a transition offense that scores 130 a night and loses 45 games.

It’ll be fun.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The crazy thing is, according to the reports I've seen the Sixers want more than a proven star. They want something bigger than the James Harden deal.

As one person put it on Twitter, the Sixers are trying to trade the idea of Ben Simmons, but the other teams are making offers for the actual player.

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Nick Anderson. I've always thought Simmons' issue was more mental than some physical gap in his game. Like, he's a guard playing in 2021, and for his career, he averages 8 three point attempts per YEAR. I almost think it would be better for his development if he went somewhere that he would be the guy, even if the team sucks. Force him to be The Man, in an attempt to get him to stop worrying about failing.

As far as his trade value goes, I honestly have no clue. His PER is close to 20 and he plays good defense, so, his regular season value is pretty high. He's a player that can help you win regular season games, which has plenty of value to plenty of teams. However, he's a liability right now in any playoff series, so why would a good team trade for him? Maybe if they're desperate... Like, could Portland get him? Feels like they just need to shake things up.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This sounds insane, but the Celtics could use him. Their problem is a surplus of guys who want (not without reason) to take the big shots.

7. PCLoadLetter

As an individual play it's tough to top.

If we count series of plays there's John Starks vs. the Rockets and later the Rockets going 0-for-27 from three.

poindexter likes this.
  8. PCLoadLetter

Can you imagine how Brad Stevens would get eviscerated if he traded Jaylen Brown for Ben Simmons? It may actually be a smart move for Boston but the blowback would be insane.

9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Meh. If they can somehow con the Sixers into taking the Marcus Smart pu pu platter, then cool. But with Smart, they already have one guy who's kind of an offensive liability at times.

10. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

If you're around Celtics fans, you know the steepest price they'll pay for anyone is Romeo Langford, Grant Williams, and a second round pick swap. Everyone else is just too valuable.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Unless you are choosing to live on a yacht, there really is no reason to buy one. Rent one for a week or two at $30-50k, you don't have to worry about upkeep, where to berth it, insurance, hurricanes or whatever. But I guess having that much bread that you can piss it away is kind of the point to owning one.

Draft saved Draft deleted