1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA Labor Pains

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Oct 10, 2011.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

superficial interest last year. LeHype and Dream team made for an interest that was broad but shallow. College basketball will satisfy the majority of bball fans. It won't be until March-April that most regular people will notice the NBA is missing. I hope they stay out for another year. Keep more college players in college. The next 2 college seasons may be the best in 10-15 years with all the good players staying in school

2. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

College basketball has been my favorite sport for years. The NBA just about usurped that last year and that had almost nothing to do with the Heat. There haven't been this many young, talented players in the league at one time in my lifetime. While I don't mind if they miss some of the year, I'll be really disappointed if there is no season.

3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

When I watch NBA games I see a lot of empty seats by courtside. How many season tickets are being sold to corporations who can use them as a writeoff so the CEO can use them when LeBron or Kobe come to town?

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Strong enough to lead a briefs rail with.

ESPN is heartbroken and that might be it.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

What am I going to do without my nightly fix of missed layups, crappy defense and 3-point attempts clanging off the front of the rim? Or crooked refs, assholes with tattos on their necks and muggings in the foul lane?

6. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Awesome . . . the NBA playoffs in July. That'll tear America away from their picnics and vacations.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The NBA is a messed up league. They need to develop an economic model that includes more revenue sharing and strong incentives for clubs to drive local revenues. Owners have to realize the idea is to grow the industry together rather than fight players over flat revenues. David Stern is a failure.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

We should hope for a canceled NBA season so the Heat can cut more salaries of their average Joe worker, or maybe lay them off:

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2011/10/miami-heat-cut-salaries-of-team-staff-by-10-then-25/

Hopefully there is a canceled NBA season so Cleveland can lose millions more in tax evenue:

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2011/10/cleveland_out_millions_if_nba.html

And it would be great if the NBA canceled its season so these Indianapolis businesses suffer:

http://www.wthr.com/story/15661982/lockout-has-negative-effects-on-downtown-businesses

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

David Stern is a failure?

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

If the NBA returning to work meant restoring full employment to the U.S., I still wouldn't care one way or the other.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Sorry I thought this thread was about NBA baby momma's.

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Personally, I know I could care less. If the season is canceled, I'm going to love seeing how ESPN cobbles together Sportscenter in the winter... it always seems like 45 of the 60 minutes, if not more, are devoted to damn NBA highlights.

However, I don't want to see the league go out... thinking more about the people most affected by the work stoppage (hotels, restaurants, etc.)

I am not surprised to see the indifference, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted