1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA Finals -- singular or plural?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Shaggy, May 28, 2010.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I didn't pose it that way.

Western Conference final
    Eastern Conference final.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

Which I said above was correct. I'm sorry I expanded on my answer.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

This debate has been going since CBS and the NBA began calling it "Finals." It should be final. The "s" is added because its a series (at least that's what one TV type told me many moons ago). In copy, I take the "S" off. I haven't had a complaint yet.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I don't think there needs to be any explanation for why "finals" is used. It's an incorrect usage that has become so common as to be acceptable in informal settings. That's how a large chunk of the language came to be.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

The TV type obviously doesn't realize that a series is a singular entity.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

It's TV double J. Always remember its a make-believe world to those folks. (Sorry if that line offended my TV brotheren).

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Which, really, is wrong. The official name is NBA Finals, whether we like it or not.

Do you put the "S" in Dodger Stadium, to make it correct?

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

And if you run the official NBA Finals logo, it's going to have an S. If you take out the 'S' in copy, you're creating an inconsistency.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Good point. No, I don't put an s on Dodger Stadium.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Correct. It is a proper name, whether or not anyone wants to change it to their own incorrect style.

11. printdust

printdust New Member

Here's a thought - how about making it plural because of the multiple participants, two teams and Stern's NBA referee hoods who will fix your team's ass if you cross him, or them.

12. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I've always understood it to be plural because they're the final games. The Eastern Conference finals are the final games played between Eastern Conference teams. The NBA Finals are the final games played between any NBA teams.

Is there one final game in the Finals? Well, yes. But I have no issue with it, especially considering best-of-seven series are not played during the season, so you couldn't necessarily say it's the final series.

Draft saved Draft deleted