1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA Draft thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, May 20, 2013.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

http://deadspin.com/the-cavs-are-willing-to-trade-the-first-overall-pick-509262668

Hey, look! The GM of the team that won the NBA Draft lottery the night before says he's weighing all his options and someone runs with that and creates a "They're willing to trade the pick!!!!" story. Pretty surprised it's Deadspin, though, since we all know Deadspinners are way smarter than all of us.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The Bel-Air Boys And Girls Club is going to get a hefty donation, though. Can probably put in a tanning bed.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Oh, they've been doing spray tans there since 2008, where have you been? :D

5. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

I would like to pose a different question here:

Does the NBA still need a lottery to determine its draft order?

Yes, I recall that teams surely seemed to be tanking a season to get a high draft pick 30 years ago. Nevertheless, is this a solution to a problem whose time has come and gone?

6. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

I kinda want to go look at all the expensive homes in Bel-Air sometime.

I did like the area around Griffith Observatory when I went up there one day. I've only been in LA for a month and a half, so much more exploring to do.

BTW, I hope Anthony Bennett can do something in the NBA, my alma mater hasn't had anyone drafted since I think Marcus Banks.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I wonder if the ratings for the lottery were as high as the SA/Memphis game

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Hell no. If you remove the draft lottery, you will see a team go 0-82 next season in pursuit of Andrew Wiggins. There is no other sport where one player can change fortunes so instantaneously and dramatically.

9. Mizzougrad96

Exactly. Just ask the Rockets if tanking games helps.

I hate the lottery. But I hate teams tanking even more... Amazingly, the NFL avoids this. I don't know how, but they do, even when a franchise QB could be available only if they lose their last game...

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Not only do I think they still need it, but I wish they'd dump the weighting system and go back to a straight lottery with each participant's odds being equal.

11. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

When did they change it? It used to be just 12 ping-pong balls, each with a team logo in the hopper right?

12. Mizzougrad96

I think after Orlando got Shaq and Webber in consecutive years.

Draft saved Draft deleted