1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA draft 2012

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Jun 28, 2012.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

In defense of those who stayed - there was more than a bit of concern that there would be no NBA season and they wouldn't receive a dollar from an NBA team until the lockout was settled.
    One of the reasons this draft was considered so strong.
    Sullinger and Jones cost themselves about $3 mil total over their life of their initial contracts - but then again last year they wouldn't have been drafted by the Celtics and Thunder. I think they would make that trade.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

And imagine how much shittier the NBA would be if Jones III was a top-five pick.

What if people actually knew who Bradley Beal was?

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I had no clue who Bradley Beal was, but I don't watch a lick of SEC basketball, so there's that.

I love the Suns pick. Kendall Marshall has tremendous vision and creativity and has the potential to be a 10-year starter at point guard. With Nash almost certainly gone, it was the biggest need to fill.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Someday the Sixers are actually going to draft a dynamic, well-known player, and I'm just going to faint.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

He didn't ask what was good for the NBA he asked how coming back for a second year helped these players.

So if you could, how did coming back for a year help these players?

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Am I the only one who was stunned Robinson was there at No. 5?

7. 93Devil

And for the 1,000th time, I don't give a damn if Perry Jones the III was outed as a shitty player because he stayed in school an extra year. I watch the NBA, not Perry Jones the III or Harrison Barnes or anyone else who devalued in their sophomore year. And when I watch the NBA, I want to see the best players.

If you were a Wizards fan, would you be happy with the Kwame Brown drafting or would you rather your team have a bigger sample size of this blockhead's work when you team invests millions into him?

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

That's not "for the 1000th time", instead that's actually an alteration of your earlier arguments that more years of college ball made players better pros and improved pro careers (who remembers the posts insisting that a player without multiple years of college ball could never lead a team to an NBA title?).

Now your position seems to be that you simply don't give a shit about the players, only the league. Is that accurate?

9. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Devil's opinion has always basically been this - he doesn't care about the players, only his entertainment. If players stay in college longer, he gets to know them more and they improve and he gets more entertainment out of it. He doesn't care that they will face better competition and, if they're good, improve more by playing in the NBA. He just wants to be entertained at a maximum level.

10. 93Devil

Well hopefully a college coach would have told James that he was the one who should have been making the plays at the ends of games and not playing hot potato with the basketball.

Players staying in college and building a name for themselves, and maturing as players, has always been an argument of mine.

When people have no idea who Bradley Beal is, that cannot possibly be good for the league.

11. 93Devil

You're right.

And college ball weeding out the Browns, Jones and Miles of the world instead of cutting their teeth in the NBA is a much better world for me.

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Not really. Keep in mind that Robinson is 21 years old and spent his first couple years at the end of the Kansas bench, whereas kids like Gilchrist and Beal are 18 and 19 and way ahead of where Robinson was at the same age.

Draft saved Draft deleted