1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA Development League

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SoSueMe, Dec 2, 2006.

1. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

First, I have to give the Score (the weakest of three all-sports networks in Canada) credit for broadcasting games.

My question: Is this stuff worth watching? Or should I shut off my television and wait for USC/UCLA and Hockey Night in Canada?

I mean, when it comes to hockey and baseball outside the NHL and MLB, it's watchable and quality. But WHAT is this!? There is NO ONE in the stands.

(I don't have much to do today, a wrestling meet and that's it. Plus, there's five inches of snow outside and I hate winter).

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

You hate winter and you live in Canada?

Isn't that like hating sun and living in Florida? Or hating water and living in the Bahamas? Or hating dry heat and living in the desert?

3. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

one thing i've learned, byh, is that canadians generally live in canada

4. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

It's not like I had a choice in the matter when my mother decided to have me.

And, as posted on another thread (where I'm asked why I hate Canada), it's not like I can escape. In theory, it seems easy enough to pack up and move to the States. But it's not, as referenced in that thread.

I used to think there are "warm spots" in Canada. And, after living coast-to-coast, I realize there isn't.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Thanks Hoops. I had no idea. :D

It was just surprising to hear such anti-cold sentiment coming from a Canadian, is all.

SoSueMe, why do you hate Canada?

6. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Stop it!! I'm not a traitor! (although, I'm sometimes a hater)

I hate the winter, the CRTC, CanCon, how journalists got hosed on NAFTA, our collective never-ending quest to define a culture that isn't there, the fact that "Quebec is a recognized nation within a united Canada" and and the cost of domestic airfare.

That's all.

For what it's worth, imagine, say, Cajuns in Louisiana, or Hispanics in California, DEMANDING that they be a "recognized nation within a United America." And then the federal government ALLOWING it to happen!? Ridiculous isn't it?

7. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

for the record, i love me some canada

8. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

about the d-league...

the local franchise, florida flame, is "on hiatus" after a two-year run, perhaps never to return. the product wasn't bad, about what stern envisions, triple-a hoops. it was a showcase for borderline nba-ers and some former nba-ers. if you like (or at least don't mind) the nba style of hoops, the d-league is the closest facsimile around.

9. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

Does anyone else think that calling it the Developmental League is a horrible marketing mistake? Fans of pro basketball don't want to go see players develop, they want to see good basketball. Even if that's what's going in the league, give it a slicker name. Something like, Stern's B-Ball Club.

Or maybe even the Hey, I Remember That Guy League.

10. leo1

leo1 Active Member

the d-league is a strange animal. no one watches it because, well, it's unwatchable.

the concept of a developmental league along the lines of baseball's farm system is a good one. i just don't think it'll ever equate with farm systems because minor league baseball has been entrenched for so long.

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Turn the TV off and read a little. Just because you're a sportswriter, doesn't mean you have to watch sports 24/7.

12. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I don't HAVE to. I WANT to.

Seriously. I don't watch a single television show that isn't a sports broadcast - or Seinfeld. I have watched one episode of Lost in my life and it was when I was drunk at a buddy's house after a bunch of us went out and crashed at his place and he had to watch it before bed. I've never watched Scrubs, never watched Grey's Anatomy and never watched Studio 60. I've watched the ocassional CSI with the fiancee and I watched the Office in its first season, before I went back to a daily and afternoons.

Draft saved Draft deleted