1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA Coach of the Year George Karl -- Fired

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Jun 6, 2013.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Per Yahoo.

This after Kroenke Sports let executive of the year Masai Ujiri walk to Toronto.

It seems the Nuggets are under new ownership -- that of the Rockies.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Fucking Josh.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's funny, I figured Karl was just being his usual acidic self when he said COYs usually end up getting canned a few weeks back - I think both he and the GM were probably thinking new contracts were coming their way. That said, Karl should get a healthy bump from either the Nets, Clippers or Grizzlies who obviously now feel justified in spending more on a coach.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Karl's been through all this before. He'll land on his feet.... if his health is at the point where he still wants to coach.

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

One of those coaches that can always take a "D" team to a "B" or a "B+" yet never an "A".

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Before he's done, Karl will coach the Lakers.

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

So what was Kroenke expecting from this team?

Their win total this year exceeded preseason expectations probably more than any team in the league, yet immediately afterward he fires his coach and is quite happy to kiss his GM goodbye as well. How does this make sense? Guess he doesn't like overachievement.

Betcha anything they're worse next season.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Well, this certainly means Brian Shaw gets his second choice of jobs now.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There is going to be quite the fight for Shaw.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

As a Pacers looser fanboi, it's a tossup to me who I would rather less see go -- Shaw or Vogel.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I would imagine the Denver job would be an attractive one... I'm stunned they got rid of Karl. I wonder if he asked for an extension and didn't get it and this was the result...

I'm sure it's happened before, but when else has a coach won coach of the year and been fired in the same year?

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

This means the NBA and NFL coaches of the year will be with different teams next season. Strange.

Draft saved Draft deleted