1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Navy SEALs on trial for punching prisoner

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2009/12/08/navy_seals_in_iraq_mistreatment_case_arraigned/

Most of what I've read about this is how outraged people are that the SEALs are being court-martialed for hitting a terrorist.
    I know what the prisoner supposedly did and yes, it's truly despicable, but I haven't heard much about the circumstances of why he was punched. Was it because he was resisting when being taken into custody? If that's the case, yes, these guys are being railroaded.
    If it was just the SEALs taking out their frustrations on the guy or doing it as a way of saying "This is what you get for fucking with us", possibly while he was handcuffed and defenseless, that's something different altogether.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Not really.

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Why not?

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

They are being sketchy on details, but it sounds like they roughed him up after he was in custody. If that is the case... not their job to dispense their idea of homemade justice, no matter what he is accused of, and a court martial and trial is certainly warranted.

5. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

He was actually in the custody of the Iraqi's first...it's unclear who roughed him up. And, from what I've read, he had a fat lip......that's it. He could have easily done that to himself.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

No, the Seals caught him, turned him over to the Iraqis (where he made his allegations) and then was turned back over to U.S. custody.

And fine, he could have done it to himself. But they did an investigation that went up the chain of command before bringing charges. And the soldiers, now accused of something, deserve their day in court to prove that it isn't true, if it isn't. They are getting it.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm trying to find in the article where it says the guy is a terrorist.

Not only have the guys been accused with hitting the suspect, they're also being accused of LYING about it to the authorities. These days, that seems to be worse than the actual deed.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Because he's brown. Duh.

There is, of course, a difference between suspect and criminal. But don't let that distract anyone. He was brown. It was totally cool for SEALs to beat him.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

This thread will be locked before 5:00 EST.

10. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Thankfully, the people who condoned this kind of crap are no longer in charge.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah. People get into more trouble lying to the feds -- or in this case military investigators -- than what they are lying about. In this case it would have been just dereliction of duty tops.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Here is detail . The guy was mastermind behind the brutal slaying of the Blackwater Security guards. One of guards was strung up on bridge and set fire to.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,576646,00.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.