1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Naturally, no thread yet on Romney's speech Thursday

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Yawn, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Yeah, your kind is out hanging at the local Che house, waiting for Bill to show up with a date or a gunman with the orders to "get Hillary some TV time." That keeps you from remembering that Romney as a GOP won a major office in TPR Mass.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Mark is a Republican, you dolt.

3. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Bullshit. If you believe that.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

I don't think anyone loathes Romney or considers having a Mormon as president is an issue except the fundamentlaist Chreistina Evangelicals. There was a whole segment on Nightline tonight about how Evangelicals consider Mormonism to be a cult.
    It's not Yawn's so-called "lefties" who fear Romney. It's Christian wing-nuts like Yawn who fear him.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

That's already been pointed out. But you know our tired old friend won't have any part of that argument.

6. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I only read what people wrote about the speech, didn't see/read the speech itself, but it sounded more like he was saying, "I may be Mormon, but at least I care about God and have the same values as you evangelicals, unlike SOME people." than he was saying that his religion shouldn't matter.
    To state another way, he said what should matter is that he's a good, God-fearing republican, and who cares what religion that God is from.

Think that's a fair assessment of the speech?

7. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

No, Amraeder. That is skirting at the edges.

While well-intentioned and undoubtedly effective, Romney's attempt to channel JFK in West Virginia was an exercise in double-speak. Unlike Romney 2007, JFK 1960 didn't qualify any part of his call for religious tolerance, nor did he talk back over himself.

And Romney's speech contained some of the wink-wink, nudge-nudge messages to the evangelicals he's so desperate to court and win over.

Exhibit A: "Our greatness would not long endure without judges who respect the foundation of faith upon which our Constitution rests..."

Translation: I'll appoint judges who will repeal Roe v. Wade.

And how's this for talking back over yourself...

"Religion is seen as merely a private affair with no place in public life. It is as if they are intent on establishing a new religion in America - the religion of secularism. They are wrong."

Ah, so you spend hundreds of words espousing religious freedom, yet this follows without a pause. Remarkable.

And "freedom requires religion?" WTF kind of Orwellian claptrap is that?

Putting aside the fact that the LDS isn't exactly a faith built on the tolerance of other faiths (how many faiths go back and baptize the dead?), I've got no problem with Romney being a Mormon.

I've got a big problem with Romney talking out of both sides of his mouth.

8. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Good to know, thanks Birdscribe.

9. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Uh, that's an understatement.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Believe the "loathe" factor re Romney is indeed low.

Now, the "contempt" factor . . . based on his epic, comprehensive Flip-de-Flop on all issues held so dear by a specific political/religious niche . . . those numbers are off the charts.

11. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Since the Senate Majority Leader, Harry Reid, is a Mormon and a Democrat, I think this assertion is pretty patently false.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Romney's just mad that House fired the Mormon doctor.

Draft saved Draft deleted