1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

National Sports paper in the US?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sportsnut, Oct 25, 2006.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Not me.

Of course, my history grade suffered, reading it 7th period every day, but... :D

2. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

I think that if "The National", XXL National" and any other newspaper that tries to do what the two magazines/newspapers are doing need to do it in a much smaller scale.

The 1990's National tried to hit 3 large markets right away
    The 2006's version of the National is doing the same. They are trying to be a fully National online PDF Magazine.

Now if someone do a regional newspaper like FSN West FSN Detroit etc, I do believe that can survive and do a great job. But not if they try to go National to quick. Plus they have 100% AP copy in this first issue or sample issue.

I say start small with maybe an issue out of one state. i.e. The state of NY do a great job in NY and then expand into another on in I don't know Florida and become National like that.

USA Today has spent $500 Million over a decade and are just now being profitable. Time's Inc Sports Illustrated took just as long. But could have shut down much sooner if Times Inc did not believe in the product.

I also think allot of people in some markets care allot of Prep Sports as well as Junior College all the way up to Professional.

I believe that if they even start monthly and then go Bi Weekly and then become Weekly they can survive allot longer then if they started off Daily or weekly straight of the bat.

Yes we have ESPN.com and any other on line sports website. But really who don't like to read a newspaper or magazine instead of looking at a computer screen for hours?

My finally word is start small then take the leap to become bigger and possibly sooner or later you would become National.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Thank you, Borat.

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Dave Meltzer's pro wrestling column (once a week) in the National was a good read because he dealt with the behind-the-scenes stuff just like he does still today with the Wrestling Observer Newsletter. I know the talk about the Sun-Sentinel Dolphins beat writer Alex Marvez who moonlights with a pro wrestling syndicated column, but Meltzer's National column was worth the read for the short time the National was alive.

I still have the National when Nolan Ryan struck out Rickey Henderson for the 5,000th K.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

DING!

The correct answer.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

As far as I'm concerned, if you're a daily, you publish 7 days a week.

Arguably the biggest sports day of the week is Saturday, and "the nation's best sports daily" had no edition the next day to report the news.

That was unacceptable to me then, and it would be unacceptable today.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

A valid point, BT. But there's no denying that The National was ahead of its time as far as presentation of the news, and seldom has such a gathering of talent landed in one place.

(I think they were pioneers in the use of graphic helmets, too.)

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

That new thing ... I downloaded it, really hated it.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Well, if I went out tomorrow and bought a Rolls-Royce, a Masarati and a Ferrari, you could argue that seldom has such a gathering of automobiles landed in one garage.

And in about 30 days the first payments would come due, and the cars would be repossessed.

Pretty much anything can be accomplished in the short-term.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Only been done once in this genre, BT. Sure, the trick's in making it last. But at least it gave us a glimpse of what could be done.

11. sartrean

sartrean Member

Yeah, it didn't even mention Podunk High's junior varsity win for the championship. Freakin' retards.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

You think five events was enough, sartrean? I sure don't.

Draft saved Draft deleted