1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

National prep FB rankings

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I love it when two "nationally-ranked" teams play, and the lower-ranked team ends up winning 45-7.

Oooops.

2. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

One of the things that has disappointed me about the changes in USA Today has been its major cutback in high school coverage. I really enjoy reading things from across the country. Call me a geek. ;)

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

A sad, sad day when the worst SE in the (short) history of USAT decided to trash the daily Across the USA page. I did everything I could, short of getting fired, to protest that. Many people in the department hated the thing, but I thought it was a powerful (and pre-Internet) resource to keep us well-connected.

4. Cadet

Cadet Guest

My feelings exactly, shotty. I like stories, not rankings.

Yes, there are 125 college football teams. But a major metro area will have at least that many high school teams.

College rankings can be compiled based on solid information such as statistics and consistent, objective reporting.

High school stats are inflated at best, cooked at worst, and vary greatly by region and school. Metro areas may not have consistent prep coverage (no reporter following a single school each week) and smaller papers may not have objective coverage (for a variety of reasons, not dogging small papers).

Personally, I think it's inappropriate to have national rankings for any pre-collegiate sport. These are still 15-16-17-year-old kids. Kids.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Well, cadet, you had me until the "kids" argument. I think that's way overblown. They aren't damaged for life by getting some national exposure.

6. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Yeah, and it can help them get into college, too. [/crazed parent]

Seriously, though, for HS rankings of any kind, is there some kind of formula? I'd imagine that's incredibly hard to do.

7. Toby Carrig

Toby Carrig Member

The Massey Ratings uses some kind of formula for state-by-state rankings. Not sure if the power numbers can be compared on an interstate basis (Southlake Carroll 77.58 in 2006; Colerain 61.80).

http://www.masseyratings.com/hsf.htm

The site also rates NFL, colleges from NCAA to NAIA, and many other sports.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

It's all crap, but especially HS rankings, given the fact there are about 18,500 high schools out there (according to the NFSHSA's web site). The state organization here crowned 12 state champions last year. And we're supposed to believe someone can pick a national No. 1?

9. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

amen, man. IMO opinion, basketball, swimming and track are the only high school sports that can be quantified and ranked. Hoops because it's easy to spot a loaded team, and the other two sports because times/distances can't be debated (notice I left out cross country, however, because courses differ so much).

10. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Interesting that we're having this debate now, because a high school game is on ESPN, and they're interviewing Lawlor about having to rank so many schools. I didn't listen to the whole thing, but I definitely heard the word "subjective" thrown out there.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Is there anyone who ranks small schools (i.e. those under 1,000 enrollment) nationally? If nobody does it, I'm sure there's a market for it, especially in Texas.

12. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

there's a market for ranking the strength of the ants in my backyard, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted